Starting Issuse

edicer2

Ok so heres the story. Me and a friend just got done changing the front brakes on my 1993 SE 4x4 MANUAL. All seemed good when i went to pump up the brakes and what not. So me and my freind went for a drive down the road to test the brakes out and they seemed to be working great! So we get out and turn the car off. About 5 mins later my dad wants to see how the new brakes feel but when he tries to turn it on all it does is just click once. Its werid becuase everything inside the car works (radio, subs, lights,ect....). I found the clicking is coming from a small blue fuse thing with 2 grey plugs going into the bottom right by the battery. Im pretty sure its not a alternator or starter problem becuase when my dad and me pushed it and my freind poped the clutch it fires right up. Like i said all i can get it to do it click one from that one blue fuse thing. I havent checked that switch on the clutch petal i hear that can be a problem. Im not enterily sure what it looks like i havent really looked around down there before. Well i guess if you guys have any ideas or have any questions let me know! NOTE i am not very mechanically inclined i can do the basics and that about it. Thanks for your time

check the battery posts and make sure theres no corrosion and that they are tight and do the same at the starter...then test the battery...since it seems like it runs after a roll start the alty should be good but have it checked anyways...

check the battery posts and make sure theres no corrosion and that they are tight and do the same at the starter...then test the battery...since it seems like it runs after a roll start the alty should be good but have it checked anyways...i'm going to say its prob a bad connection or battery

yeah i think your right with the bad connection idea because i have never had a problem with it before. Starters dont just quit like that for no reason dont they normally seem weak before they die? Anyways I checked the batter connection they seem decent i just bought a new battery and put new termial ends on the wires. The starter connections on the other had are full of oil :unsure: . Im guessing thats from being under the oil filter and over the years of it getting changed and driping it has just built up. So tomorrow sometime im going to try to crawl under there and clean them up and test that all out. What are the chances its the little buttons on the clutch pedel or the relays? because i was looking at a book and there are alot of relays and i dont want to really buy them all and find out its not them.

alright i figured out what was wrong at 9pm tonight. I found out the starter was located right under the oil filter and everytime you change the oil of course all the oil drips all over it(what a stupid ass spot for it to be located). So i just sat there for a few hours cleaning the starter off and making sure the connections were tight. I guess that did that trick! im so happy that was the problem and i didnt have to go buy anything. thanks for the help!

alright i figured out what was wrong at 9pm tonight. I found out the starter was located right under the oil filter and everytime you change the oil of course all the oil drips all over it(what a stupid ass spot for it to be located). So i just sat there for a few hours cleaning the starter off and making sure the connections were tight. I guess that did that trick! im so happy that was the problem and i didnt have to go buy anything. thanks for the help!

Keep tabs on this. The relay you mentioned before (standing alone, attached to the inner fender, not in the "relay box") is known for failing, and its failure can seem like a failing starter solenoid. If the problem comes back, or proves to be intermittent, replace that relay. Nissan part number 25230-89981, the Inhibitor Relay, cost me 21.32, and I installed it before I left the dealership. Alternately, if you're blessed with two of these vehicles, you can swap relays between them. That's how I narrowed it down on Hardbody; I put the failing relay into the Pathy and the problem followed it.