Abs Brakes Slipping?

Crashoveride

Hi Everyone,

I think I may have a problem with my brakes and I want to see if i can flush it out before winter hits. I have a 98 Chilkoot Edition.

I noticed yesterday when I was driving in the rain and went to brake hard that it almost seemed as if one of my wheels was not braking properly, almost as if one was and the other wasn't.

Then on the way into work this morning, the roads were still wet and a deer ran out in front of me and i had to stop abruptly and noticed the same thing, almost as if I was sliding on ice or something, i felt like i had no control of the truck anymore which is the complete opposite of the purpose for ABS.

I know my brakes are in good working order as we had them all apart this past summer and replaced the front and rear as well as made sure everything was functioning properly mechanically and made sure there was lots of lube used to make sure nothing was going to seize up on me in the future ;)

Anyone have any idea where I should begin with this issue? I dont have allot of experience with ABS systems overall, i know the theory but not sure where some of the problems could lie.

Thanks in Advance.

Crash

So, you're saying the brakes are locking up? If so, try to track down which wheels are locking, and clean out the ABS sensor at that wheel. It's not uncommon for them to get filled with grime and dirt.

So, you're saying the brakes are locking up? If so, try to track down which wheels are locking, and clean out the ABS sensor at that wheel. It's not uncommon for them to get filled with grime and dirt.

See thats the thing, it could be locking up and I just cant tell because its one wheel. You may have a point there though because when it happens it feels like I am skidding a little bit but only in one corner, it feels like the front passengers one actually.

I think this weekend i will see if I can get it on the hoist and see if that is the problem. Is there any proper way to clean the ABS sensor? maybe i DIY on the site or just a trick i should know of to make the most of it?

Thanks Simon for the help.

Cheers,

Crash

I think you do need to try to track down exactly what is happening. See if in fact one wheel is locking up. In my past experience when the sensor gets dirty it usually throws a code then turns off the abs system. I had this problem with my SS camaro. the front drivers side abs sensor had gotten some grit and grime in it and so when the system was doing it's diagnostic which i guess is all the time, it would throw a abs sensor code and automatically shut off the abs. I am not sure if that is what would happen in the pathy's but that is just my .02 good luck

It SHOULD do that...however, the system doesn't always work that way. For instance, my parent's Exploder would activate the ABS at under 10kph if they braked lightly, like in traffic, or pulling into the driveway. It was a dirty ABS sensor at the wheel.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So far i don't have any codes thrown nor have I ever but I tend to think that the ABS sensor may be dirty. With any luck this weekend I can get some time in to look at it and clean it out and see if that makes a difference. Also I may bleed my lines as well just to make sure there are no bubbles or crap in them that could be contributing to the issue.

Thanks again,

Crash