Tranny Swappin' Fun

spotana98

Alrighty, so I am swapping my bearing-totalled 5 speed tranny for a rebuilt tranny. I have never done this before and my Chilton's manual is being a PITA. I'd like a little guidance from someone who has done it before. So far I've removed part of the exhaust, removed the two bolts under the transmission, removed the transfer case shifter, and disconnected electrical connections. The Chiltons manual speaks of taking off the drive shaft, removing the torsion springs and a bunch of other stuff. Do I have to remove the transfer case to get the transmission out and install the new one? It seems the steps in there include removal of the TC, and I don't want to unless I have to. Also, the clutch I have is only 3 months old, so I don't need to change it, but removing the tranny won't affect any of the clutch I assume. Any guidance, including the remaining steps I need to take, I would be forever greatful.

You have to remove all that stuff. T-bars, and t-bar crossmember. Drive shaft needs to go. You should also put the bolts back in the tranny crossmember to help with something to hold onto and for leverage when dropping it. The transfer case can stay on it, and it should balance on the tranny x-member with it still on.

Sounds like you're pretty green on this subject, so I'd suggest getting a little help on this project from someone. Four hands, and two brains will really help you get this done smoothly.

If you're in the Houston area I might be able to lend a hand.

Just swapped my tranny for a rebuilt one last week and my (Nissan) manual told me to make sure

to remove the crankshaft positioner sensor before dropping the tranny. I have a '96 pathy

I don't know if your model have a crankshaft positioner sensor. At my pathy its located on top

of the case where the tranny is connected with the engine (little difficult to reach).

Edited by Caribbeandude

no positioner to remove...

As Casey said you will need to remove both driveshafts...your t bars and t bar x member...dont forget to remove the slave cylinder prior to dropping (once disconnected dont hit the clutch)..both shifters need to be removed (the t case shifter can just stay attached just the linkages need to be removed so it can drop down through the cutout...also remove the starter and the 4 bolts on the engine side along iwth all the tranny bolts...do not remove them all the way until you are ready to drop the tranny in case something goes wrong and u are under it and it decided to fall it will just slide on the bolts and not crush you

2 people is def better than 1 and may need more if you dont have the right lifts and what not...the tranny is heavy I have had to drop pathy trannys 3 times and each time its gotten better and 2 times i did it alone and 1 time with a buddy and the 2nd time was a lot easier

also make sure the new one has a new throwout bearing, replace the pilot bushing, and I would go ahead and get a new clutch and flywheel. ...while your in there I would replace the rear main seal as well and check the rear cam seals to see if they need to be done and do them if needed

good luck

Well I decided to cut my losses and leave it to the professionals. This should be interesting, the thing has made the bearing noise since I bought it, but at $150 for my Pathfinder, I figure this is still a good deal. I will update with pictures when I get it washed and unleash it to the world!

my 95's throwout growled on cold mornings for years (when my cousin had it and when I had it) the clutch finally gave out on it so replacing the clutch, throwout, flywheel and pilot bushing took care of it (although it was only the throwout bearing)

just make sure they do your RMS while their in there...I'd hate for you to replace the clutch then it go out 3 months later and turn around and spend the same amount just to have the RMS replaced b/c labor is high due to the amount of crap that has to be removed so the clutch and RMS I would imagine would have almost the same pricetag for labor

The guys that did the tranny swap inspected as much as they could and said that it was clean. I tested it before taking it in to make sure it wasn't slipping at all. They took the throwout bearing from my old tranny and put it on my wreakin' yard tranny. He said the TB was very smooth. Anyway, I got it back and it moves like a dream. Sometimes it feels a little weird when I shift into second, but that could just be my paranoia :tonguefinger: