Tranny Coolers

bajapathy

OK, srsly, I've read (I think) everything in the archives here and in 4x4parts. :deadhorse:

Newb Conclusion: If you live in a warm area (SoCal), buy a ~+12K GVW tranny cooler with the cold fluid bypass (B&M), and bypass the stock cooler and radiator cooler/heater which can clog and kill. Putting in a trans filter at this point isnt a bad idea either. Have U-Haul do it, apparently the cheapest out there.

If you live in a cold area, YMMV. Maybe a better warmitup does the trick, dont know...

I think most of us with the R50 have put the cooler in-line instead of replacing the stock cooler to prevent over-cooling.

Yes, I've read and noted many posts in this regard, many by you. I spent some time thinking about it.

1. The B&M has a bypass for cold (well, too viscous) fluid. Not sure how well it works, but I will say I looked for and never found any complaints about the trans being too cold with a bypass cooler.

2. I dont live in a cold area. 40F here is FREEZING (lmao at 40F and freezing in same sentence)

3. That stock cooler can clog and kill. Hyperbole or fact?

4. I'd THINK (the operative being 'think', like that has never gotten me into trouble) that an engine warm up before driving plus the tranny cooler bypass would alleviate this problem.

Feel free to continue this dialogue :ar15: , I am not stating I'm correct, just what was in the archives, and my take on what I found, and my most probable course of action given this info.

Cheers!