Ignition Key Release

PedroTerrano

My 1990 Terrano is not releasing the ignition key when the button beside the key is pressed.

I hate leaving the key in it while I'm at work.

The key is supposed to release when the auto shift is moved to park and the key turned to off.

Before I start pulling things apart, does anyone have any help on this one ?

you can kill the key release all together...a cable runs from a solenoid on the shifter...you can either pull the column cover off and pull the cable out of there or pull the cable from the shifter and use it as a release...or you can replace that solenoid...but make sure thats what it is 1st...I'd also make sure its going all the way into park...ever have any problems starting it?

you can kill the key release all together...a cable runs from a solenoid on the shifter...you can either pull the column cover off and pull the cable out of there or pull the cable from the shifter and use it as a release...or you can replace that solenoid...but make sure thats what it is 1st...I'd also make sure its going all the way into park...ever have any problems starting it?

Thanks for the info.

I have had no trouble with starting the shift moves into park easily so I think I'll check the solenoid out.