Terrano Diesel Question

artrix

got a terrano thats a little thirsty on diesel(16litres per 100 kilometres) ,amongst other things its a bit of a problem child. I have found what appears to be an ecu in the back of the car that has Diesel kiki on it! thats the brand of injector pump fitted. Does anyone know what this ecu does? and if so is there a way of testing it to see if all is well. cheers

Edited by artrix

td27's do not have any electronics associated with them what so ever, unless its in a 'terrano 2'

16/100 is definetely thirsty, a friends td27t manual got around 10L/100.

does it blow much smoke? if so what color ie. black, grey, whitish blue. generally speaking a diesel will blow smoke on heavy acceleration.

well i would start with a general service. doing fuel, air & oil filters & oil. there is also a small 'basket' type filter in the top of the injection pump under the banjo fitting where the fuel enters, these can get blocked up.

if all that is spot on i would then be thinking of getting the injectors redone, timing checked - generally they are slightly retarded. and the waste gate tweaked to get a little more out of the turbo. small amounts can generally be picked up on a stock turbo & wastegate setup.

what size tyres are fitted? is it auto or manual? how many km's?

Edited by sw

td27's do not have any electronics associated with them what so ever, unless its in a 'terrano 2'

16/100 is definetely thirsty, a friends td27t manual got around 10L/100.

does it blow much smoke? if so what color ie. black, grey, whitish blue. generally speaking a diesel will blow smoke on heavy acceleration.

well i would start with a general service. doing fuel, air & oil filters & oil. there is also a small 'basket' type filter in the top of the injection pump under the banjo fitting where the fuel enters, these can get blocked up.

if all that is spot on i would then be thinking of getting the injectors redone, timing checked - generally they are slightly retarded. and the waste gate tweaked to get a little more out of the turbo. small amounts can generally be picked up on a stock turbo & wastegate setup.

what size tyres are fitted? is it auto or manual? how many km's?

thanks for the reply, i would love to know what the part with the diesel kiki sticker on it does? The car is an early terrano 1991 model., its an auto. As far as i am aware it doesn't blow much smoke at all,and if it does its black. That ecu was found on the passenger side (drivers side for left hand drive cars) inside the plastic side panel in the rear cargo area. Didnt know about the filter on the pump will try to get in there and have a look.Tyres are standard size, and its done 160000 k's. thanks for any help

auto's will use a bit more fuel so 10/100 may not be quite acheivable but 16 seems a bit high, especially with stock tyres.

see how you go with the basket filter. it still may need a timing & injector check.

160k km's is nothing for td27 long as oil has been changed over its life, but that rule is for any motor.

as for that box it maybe a stock 'amp' i recall reading about it on this forum numerous times. i never had one so i dont even know what it looks like, but its always a possibility

Edited by sw