Something Is Amiss With My Rear Suspension

lyzic

It’s the rear axle bump stop.

There are two fitted to the vehicle, one either side, mounted inside the rear suspension springs. They are there to stop metal to metal contact and to take up any absorption as the axle is pushed upwards. If it falls apart and your axle moves up through it's fall movement of travel you will hear a clunking noise when it bottoms out.

From the photo I would suggest that it has been bottoming out quite a bit as the bump stop is starting to split. This would suggest that your rear springs are shot and need to be repaced. Do you drive with a lot of kit in the car? Does the vehicle sag at the back?

To replace jack up rear of car remove road wheels and place axle stands under body not axle. Undue bottom nut holding shock absorber to axle and remove from pivot point. Get someone to push down on the drum assembly with their foot whilst you remove the rear spring. Use a socket to undue the central bolt holding the bump stop in place. Replace bump stop and spring ensuring you replace the rubber seat to the bottom of the spring. Refit and carryout on the other side.

Torque settings

Bump Stop bolt: 15 - 20 ft/lb

Shock Absorber bottom nut: 49 - 65 ft/lb

Edited by Marooncobra

Yes, that would be a bump stop. You're going to want to replace those soon, as well as your shocks. The stock Pathy suspension setup is garbage and is prone to bottoming out ALL the time. Hell, mine used to bottom out after a fill up at the gas station. You don't even need a constant load in the rear to have a bottoming out issue.

Replace your shocks at the very least...springs would be a good idea as well.

wow thanks for the replies guys!

So I guess new rear suspension is in the works for me then.

Also I washed my truck yesterday and found a rust bubble in my rear fender. That made me pissed right off

i think those might be original bumpstops and original suspension, with 160k kms on it! the bump stops are starting to degrade, become crumbly and fall apart like a pastry, rather than tear like rubber should

i went to do my brakes because they're squeaking. the fronts needed done and the backs were at 80% ! i washed em out thoroughly and squeak no more (the backs that is)

however, a lot of components back there do have dry rot. it's just a matter now i guess of looking the stuff over, and figuring on the price of replacing the really bad stuff.

ugh, stupid salted roads

so today i went out for a closer look underneath the truck

and BOTH my rear and front stabilizer bars are getting destroyed by dry-rot

i mean, they're crumbling and rusting all to hell....wayyyyyyyy worse than anything else around them

what in the heck makes these in particular go to crap so suddenly?

Anyone have a link to a good replacement? guess i should start looking at replacing them before they become a problem

what in the heck makes these in particular go to crap so suddenly?

Anyone have a link to a good replacement? guess i should start looking at replacing them before they become a problem

do you live up north? the salty snow during winter will eat away at the underside of your car if you don't keep it rinsed off.

I live in alabama, and I bought my Pathfinder from a guy from Connecticut. not surprisingly, the first thing I did when I got it was examine the bottom for rust. the rear underside was pretty bad. but now it looks great. I sanded down the parts that weren't annihilated by rust, then sprayed black shiny Rust-oleum on them. pretty nifty i think!!

Anyway, here is a good link to a full, detailed suspension replacement on a 1993 Pathfinder SE:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/november03/pathfinder/

Edited by brerben