No Check Engine Light!

AlMac

Hey guys,

I just took apart my dash on my '92 to change a few bulbs.

While changing the 'meter light' bulbs, i noticed there wasnt a 'socket plug' for a check engine service light(hole but no 'socket). :wacko:

Looking in my Haynes manual, the check engine light should be above the Park Break light.

I shone a flashlight throught the hole above the brake light, and there was nothing on the front face of the cluster!

No silk screen letters or anything but a yellow lens(like the brake light). :shrug:

I was concerned about this cause the check engine light is important, and its' supposed to come on briefly when you start the engine, and it doesnt.

When i start the engine, i get: seat belt warning, battery, ANTI-LOCK. they come on for about 5 seconds and then shut off.

My brake light is SUPPOSED to come on but doesn't. The bulb is fine.

If this was a fuse issue, wouldn't no lights come on?

Any ideas, suggestions? Rants?

I am prolly missing something; i am a newb after all... :huh:

thanks in advance guys!

Al

I agree with GhostPath.....to some extent. It sounds like they would have taken the light/socket out, but why would there be no silk screening in the light insert?!?!?I don't think they're removable. Maybe someone with a 92 could confirm that this is actually the spot for the check engine. If it is, then you need to investigate further and fix the prob. Specially if you get a check engine light on.

my pathfinder does not have a check engine light, all federal and canada emission equipped pathys did not have a cel up to 1993.

WHEW! And here i thought i was losing my mind or something! :rolleyes:

So without the light, i guess when things go wrong... i depend on the idiot lights then, eh? :unsure:

Looks like i'll be putting a gauge cluster in soon.

My voltmeter is bad (ALWAYS reads 18v, checked at battery with engine running:14v) Really Annoying. :ohno01:

I think my temp gauge isn't working right either, unless its supposed to read at about 25% when running. Engine must run pretty cool!

Does the temp gauge read H2O temp or Oil Temp?

An oil Pressure gauge add on is a must i think.

BTW... when installing this, do i need to splice into the oil pressure light switch already there, or add another switch?

I want to have both the light and the gauge for Oil Pressure.

I picked up a new 2" voltmeter for $10 CDN yesterday.

Still considering where to mount it. :unsure:

I thought about mounting it on the ceiling to the left of the rear view mirror?

thanks for your quick replies.

any and all input ALWAYS appreciated! :beer:

cheers!

Al