Air Conditioner Doesn't Work: 1996 Pathy

jjeffri

Howdy folks,

My air conditioner is not working on my 1996 Pathy. When I push the A/C button in the cab, nothing happens; in fact, the engine doesn't even respond and there is no "click" from when the A/C compressor clutch engages. To the best of my ability, I can't see the compressor clutch spring out to engage the shaft to the pulley. I've checked the fuses and relays, and they don't seem to be the culprits. Any other thoughts?

Howdy folks,

My air conditioner is not working on my 1996 Pathy. When I push the A/C button in the cab, nothing happens; in fact, the engine doesn't even respond and there is no "click" from when the A/C compressor clutch engages. To the best of my ability, I can't see the compressor clutch spring out to engage the shaft to the pulley. I've checked the fuses and relays, and they don't seem to be the culprits. Any other thoughts?

Checked your charge level? If you do not have enough R134a in the system, the pressure switch will cut out the compressor and will not let it engage.

Yeah, when was the last time you had the system checked, or recharged?

I had the oil changed about 8 months ago and the technician at the lube joint said that I had sufficient charge of coolant. It hasn't worked for about a year now, but I'm getting tired of sweating while I sit in traffic.

If nothing at all happens, check that the wire (green one here) is connected to the compressor or that the connection is not dirty, thus making a bad contact. Also check the wires at the pressure switch. If all is OK, check to see if it is live when you switch it. If it livens up, then the problem isn't electrical. It may mean a new compressor and a re gas.

Does the switch light up at least when you depress the button?

P.S.

You can bypass the pressure switch to check if it is faulty.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

If nothing at all happens, check that the wire (green one here) is connected to the compressor or that the connection is not dirty, thus making a bad contact. Also check the wires at the pressure switch. If all is OK, check to see if it is live when you switch it. If it livens up, then the problem isn't electrical. It may mean a new compressor and a re gas.

Does the switch light up at least when you depress the button?

P.S.

You can bypass the pressure switch to check if it is faulty.

Switch on the dash doesn't light up, but it never has as long as I've owned the truck. I'll try to find some electrical connections to the compressor. I'm guessing that a wiring harness would extend back to the relay box on the driver side? I'm guessing that if I push the switch inside the cab, then the "green wire" would show 12V, correct?

Where is the pressure switch? That sounds like something good to check also...I don't mind taking this into an A/C guy, but I'd like to have a better idea of what's wrong before a mechanic suggests that I replace every element of the A/C circuit. Thanks for the help.

Switch on the dash doesn't light up, but it never has as long as I've owned the truck. I'll try to find some electrical connections to the compressor. I'm guessing that a wiring harness would extend back to the relay box on the driver side? I'm guessing that if I push the switch inside the cab, then the "green wire" would show 12V, correct?

Where is the pressure switch? That sounds like something good to check also...I don't mind taking this into an A/C guy, but I'd like to have a better idea of what's wrong before a mechanic suggests that I replace every element of the A/C circuit. Thanks for the help.

It is just a globe in the button but I thought it was worth a mention as it might be indicative of a faulty button.

Your compressor will have 'one' wire only running to it. It has a connection at the compressor. Check it at that location.

The pressure switch is near the radiator, engine bay side, on a silvery pipe. You should be able to follow the pipe work from the firewall to locate it and it will have two wires running to it... I don't know if the US models are the same as the AU models so someone local should be able to help you better if I am wrong.