Some Pathy Issues

So Im once again back in the Pathfinder world. My 240sx is complete, so Im using it as my daily instead of the pathy. The pathy is now my project car and I finally get a chance to do some real (and much needed) work on the ole 'finder.

Jobs are:

1. Water pump is (was) leaking at the telltale. I took everything out, replaced the h20 pump etc, new t-belt, in process of putting back together and painting parts now.

2. Pathfinder doesnt always start. Most of the time, when I turn the key, nothing happens (no crank, no nothing), you then turn it back off, back on (maybe a few times) and there she goes. Runs excellent, idles fine. Does this in all weather. First I replaced solenoid, didnt change anything, so I went for a new starter, no change. Its got a brand new Optima yellowtop in it. Although, it is a 5spd, and I thought there was a type of 'clutch disconnect switch' in them? Mine is not there anyway. So Im thinking I'll stop by a junkyard and scrounge one from there? What else could this be? Ignition switch failure?

3. Lift..... (prepare yourself for some newb questions now)

once I get engine running and operating right, I eventually want to lift the bad boy. I was thinking a 3" body lift since its alot cheaper, and I have 3 vehicles that need work, so I need to save my money as much as I can ;) Since I've been in the 240sx world for a while, Ive forgotten most things I knew about the lifting world. I would like some big(ish) tires that are definetly WIDE. I want the tires to stick out. Whats the max width people have run successfully with a 3" BL? BTW, tire would probably be Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 32/??.5/15 AC lift is probably the way Id go, since I cant find any other body lift for a pathy. whats the widest I can go with a 3"? (with trimming of course, thats no biggie)

Any suggestions/comments? (besides search :P ) I cant read all the posts on the site since I work 11hrs/day, come home and work on at least one of my cars, so my free time is limited. I wish I could search everything and read all of them, but theres not enough hours in the day...

thanks in advance, and sorry for writing a novel.

So Im once again back in the Pathfinder world. My 240sx is complete, so Im using it as my daily instead of the pathy. The pathy is now my project car and I finally get a chance to do some real (and much needed) work on the ole 'finder.

Jobs are:

1. Water pump is (was) leaking at the telltale. I took everything out, replaced the h20 pump etc, new t-belt, in process of putting back together and painting parts now.

2. Pathfinder doesnt always start. Most of the time, when I turn the key, nothing happens (no crank, no nothing), you then turn it back off, back on (maybe a few times) and there she goes. Runs excellent, idles fine. Does this in all weather. First I replaced solenoid, didnt change anything, so I went for a new starter, no change. Its got a brand new Optima yellowtop in it. Although, it is a 5spd, and I thought there was a type of 'clutch disconnect switch' in them? Mine is not there anyway. So Im thinking I'll stop by a junkyard and scrounge one from there? What else could this be? Ignition switch failure?

3. Lift..... (prepare yourself for some newb questions now)

once I get engine running and operating right, I eventually want to lift the bad boy. I was thinking a 3" body lift since its alot cheaper, and I have 3 vehicles that need work, so I need to save my money as much as I can ;) Since I've been in the 240sx world for a while, Ive forgotten most things I knew about the lifting world. I would like some big(ish) tires that are definetly WIDE. I want the tires to stick out. Whats the max width people have run successfully with a 3" BL? BTW, tire would probably be Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 32/??.5/15 AC lift is probably the way Id go, since I cant find any other body lift for a pathy. whats the widest I can go with a 3"? (with trimming of course, thats no biggie)

Any suggestions/comments? (besides search :P ) I cant read all the posts on the site since I work 11hrs/day, come home and work on at least one of my cars, so my free time is limited. I wish I could search everything and read all of them, but theres not enough hours in the day...

thanks in advance, and sorry for writing a novel.

1. sounds like you have that under control.

2. sounds like the ignition switch. Take a look around (search button :rolleyes: ). I think there was a writeup on how to fix this rather than replace it. Take a look at this thread though. There seems to be a differeny problem popping up frequently

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry209836

3. No info from me as I am running stock 31's on mine. Check the local laws though. I have heard of people getting in trouble if their tires extend out beyone the body or flairs. If it's purely an offroad vehicle, no problem, but check the street-legal aspect.

Good luck!

Edited by k9sar

whoops, didnt actually search for the ignition problem :blush02: . Theres a hardbody running around town with a bodylift and 11.5 TSLs, nobody bothers him, its a small town, they dont care about things like that, so Im sure Id be fine.

thanks for the link k9sar, I never knew you were so nice to canadians! ;)

your starting problem is probably the starter relay or as nissan calls it the 'inhibit' relay. its in the relay box on the right side of the engine bay.

ok yikes... got everything back together after water pump install. ran great, popped new plugs in (damn you #6). Put a new skidplate on, Everything was going smooth, so I decided to tackle this starting problem once and for all.... looking around for the relay, could not find anything that said "Inhibitor Relay". Some places said its near the battery, some say its in front of the windshield washer fluid tank, so I looked everywhere. The only relay box I could find was near the battery, on the inner fender/apron assembly. I quickly looked underneath to look for a black wire with yellow tracer, huzzah! found one going into the relay labeled "check relay" (a blue relay). Since I couldnt find ANY other relays, I did like any moron would do and ripped open the steering column apart, quickly finding the black/yellow wire. I cut and stripped both the black with yellow tracer wires (the one at the ign and the one at the relay) ran a peice of 14ga wire from the ign wire thru the window of the truck, over the windshield, and hooked it into the other wire at the relay. Figured I was the @!*%, so I turned the key... nothing (relay still clicked) tried several times at starting, to no avail. Finally I called it quits after the wire started smoking and looks like the wires at the relay are a little fried (not too badly I hope, just a little bit)

my question is now... WTF?

alright, so I put everything back together the right way, and noticed that the black+yellow wire at the ignition, at the solder point, it was very weak and broke off when i nudged it a bit. Im guessing the weak connection was my problem, since I hooked up a new 14ga wire from where I cut the old ign wire, clean up the connection point, placed the new wire on and it fired up right away about 15 times in a row. So now all I have to do is solder the new wire on, and see if that fixes it once and for all. close call there hooking up that secondary wire, lucky the relay didnt fry, all that was cooked was the meter fuse. whew