Brakes

Simon

On my 95, I was trying to do a brake job, and found that the pins on my drivers side, front wheel were seized. I managed to get the bracket off the knuckle that has the pins on it, where the caliper bolts onto (previously I'm sure someone used an impact gun to bolt it on, and it was a PITA to get loose). I couldn't free up the pins no matter what I tried (hammering, clamping, put into vise, tried with a pipe wrench to twist). I tried to lubricate with WD40, with no luck. If anyone has any tips/tricks to free them up, I'd be able to clean up the pins, and reinstall.

Any thoughts? :help:

Someone I know had this happen on a Rav 4 (what an off-road vehicle!!!!) and the mechanic said he could get new ones for a crap load of money or soak them in oil for a day or two, depending on if she wanted to wait or not. Maybe give this a try??? It worked. I would assume it'd work for you???

I had this happen to me, but luckily I could remove them by clamping in a vise, a pair of vise grip and WD-40. The first time I cleaned the pins, the second time (three weeks later) I replace the pins and used actual brake lub and they still work 100%. It's been 6 months and only cost me $20 for a set and $15 for the rubber boots that go on them.

Okay....the update.....

Got one of the two out by clamping the whole piece in a vice, then using a pipe wrench and a rubber mallet to twist the pin free. That worked okay. Cleaned the hole, regreased, and installed a new pin. For the other, there was no way I was going to get it out, so I drilled it. First making a pilot hole right through the middle, then going with a bit size only slightly smaller than the original hole. Then used the correct sized drill bit to clean/polish the walls of the hole. Installed a new pin, with grease, and it's fixed. :aok: Took me about 3 hours in total, but most of that time was spent drilling the old pin out, as they're pretty tough. Had to sharpen the drill bits about 10 times each!!!

Thanks for the tips guys....