CV Joint/Boot replacement

kmgar99

Has anyone ever replaced the CV Joint Boot or the joint itself before? Mine are starting to leak through cracks in both the lower boots.

Can the boots be replaced and the joint be regreased?

I did both of mine not too long ago. I had a hard time finding boot kits for it, and the clamps they come with are next to impossible to attach without the special tool for it. I ended up using two hose clamps on one of the axles. :P Anyway, it's a tedious task, takes a while, lots of front end disassembly...and yes, the new boot kit comes with a little Ziploc bag full of CV grease (which IS NOT the same as axle grease, just so you know). I got an extra little tub of CV grease for mine, they didn't seem to have put quite enough into the little Ziploc baggie in my kits.

Here's a picture of the fun. My old CV boot had somehow gotten a rock inside of it...found that when I took it off. Good thing I hadn't been running it in 4WD with a rock inside!

The steering knuckle is removed in this pic, I was also replacing my balljoints while I had it all apart. $25 each and voila, I don't have to mess with them for a while or wonder if they're OK.

bustedpathy.jpg

Ouch. Wrecked CV joint boot.

wreckedCV.jpg

Rock and roll!

CVrock.jpg

WOW! Thanks for the photos! I think I will takle the job. It looks pretty in depth, but I think it will be a good experience.

Thanks for the photos.

P.S. About how long did it take you?

I dunno. Two days or so. Full weekend. I like to take my time, not do it fast and just do whatever's needed. I always end up cleaning, trimming, modifying, moving, etc... :) Of course, my Pathy isn't my daily driver usually...I can drive my van if the Pathy's OOC.

I'm the same, I fugure, while it's apart what else can I do. Which snowballs and turns an hour project into 3.

I think I'll change theball joints too...78,000 with 300 miles of off road time.

Thanks 88