Considering Jwt Performance Cams For Vg33e

blamtro

I have searched around a bit but haven't found much in the way of what people thought after the cams were installed. I like my pathy, but it is underpowered with the 3.3.

I called JWT to speak with a technician and the only advice he offered was that sometimes the S2 cams have a problem when installed in vehicles with autotrans because of the low idle. They also mentioned about springs and lifters.

Was it 98silverpathy who actually installed the cams? What did you think. What will my pathy be like afterwards?

Yes, 98silverpathy did install the S1 cams, and he recommends them.

I would eventually like to do that to my engine, too, but I'm waiting for some more fundage before taking the "$500 cams+new lifters+labor costs" plunge. I totally broke the bank last year, pumping nearly $5K into my rig. Ouch.

The cams were awesome! I would recommend having a real pro shop install them since there are tolereance differences in the engine that make a difference in how the valves are adjusted...hot = 1 tolerance cold = another tolerance. Anyway, if you wanted to do the springs and retainers also I would recommend getting light components (Titanium) This will also raise your RPM limits (with ecu mods). The cams were definately worth the efforts, my rig had really just been beaten before I got it and that wear showed quickly after getting new parts on her....I really miss my rig!

What else did you replace besides cams? Lifters, springs, retainers? What other componets did you replace? Did you mod the ECM? If I do this, I don't want to find out afterwards that I have to mod the ECM or purchase other items in order to run.

The cams were awesome! I would recommend having a real pro shop install them since there are tolereance differences in the engine that make a difference in how the valves are adjusted...hot = 1 tolerance cold = another tolerance. Anyway, if you wanted to do the springs and retainers also I would recommend getting light components (Titanium) This will also raise your RPM limits (with ecu mods). The cams were definately worth the efforts, my rig had really just been beaten before I got it and that wear showed quickly after getting new parts on her....I really miss my rig!

I had the lifters replaced....at this point after learning what I learned...that is really not necessary...these parts get very little wear on them from the fairly weak amount of pressure that they are under, let alone that they are already oiled perfectly!

I bought a wideband O2 sensor and an Air Fuel Controller to "tune" in my stuff. If you check my profile I had a couple of things that made a difference in HP first...the cams were last. The SAFC will help you dial in the usefulness of those items....again I cannot stress enough that the cams were an awesome upgrade...it may only be 15HP, but with everything else done to the rig it turned out to be the most power producing upgrade.

The best part about the upgrade is that it is permanent and virtually harmless for a healthy pathy, the quality of the JWT cams is top notch, so likewise no worries there!

From your profile, it looks like you added cams, wideband O2 sensor, POP charger, and the APEXi tuner. Anything else?

You changed the lifters, did you also change springs or retainers?

After you put on the cams, what problems surfaced? What problems were there before the cams?

I had the lifters replaced....at this point after learning what I learned...that is really not necessary...these parts get very little wear on them from the fairly weak amount of pressure that they are under, let alone that they are already oiled perfectly!

I bought a wideband O2 sensor and an Air Fuel Controller to "tune" in my stuff. If you check my profile I had a couple of things that made a difference in HP first...the cams were last. The SAFC will help you dial in the usefulness of those items....again I cannot stress enough that the cams were an awesome upgrade...it may only be 15HP, but with everything else done to the rig it turned out to be the most power producing upgrade.

The best part about the upgrade is that it is permanent and virtually harmless for a healthy pathy, the quality of the JWT cams is top notch, so likewise no worries there!

Edited by blamtro

Open Hubs, exhaust, electric fan...all of these things = HP to the ground also.

Just the lifters, my cams sounded like a diesel engine, I had all sorts of clicking from the heads, thus I say get a good shop to install them with the proper specs. I also had failing injectors, they would intermittantly work correctly and then not again. I was able to know via the SAFC and wideband that they worked perfectly at WOT...so I have an idea of how great the cams were. I only wish that I had used a better shop and done this with a healthier path.

My path came to me with mud/muck in the air filter, next to no electrodes on the plugs, a rusted fuel filter, plug wires that pulled apart not off, and long since overheated tranny fluid. After all my maintainence, the rig with 31's and a 2" OME lift got 20 MPG on a trip south over an 8 hr drive she was consistant. After the cams, the injectors started acting up, and the tranny started to slip....so I gave up having already invested too much.