Can't Remove Distributor

jason

I'm half way done with replacing my valve cover gaskets, but I can't get the DS valve cover off due to the distributor being in the way. I removed the 14 mm bolt, the small screw behind the rotor, and 3 small screws that that screw in vertically and are pretty much even spaced around the rotor. The distributor twists a little, but there is NO upward movement. I have to have it done by noon tomorrow, so any input anyone has tonight would be awesome.

If I recall correctly... remove just the 14mm tie down bolt... mark your #1 position, and you have to apply a little upward force on on it... be careful as you move it up, the rotor will turn and you have to mark where is starts to spin freely... that way you can get it re-set when you re-install it....

If you dont, you get to play musical teeth with the dizzy and a timing light until you get it right....

funny, i left my distributor IN when i took my VC's off.... i had to take the dust cap and distributor cap off. but not hte actual dissy itself..... just a thought...... *wanders off back down the hallway*

apparently Thomas, YOU got ME thinking, so I went back through the pics of when I was buildin the purple turd... sho as sh!t, I took it out.......... *bangs head on walla nd wanders off back down the hall*

btw, my dizzy was tight too.. wiggle, jiggle, pull... be persistent P...

There's one screw in the corner of the cover that is impossible to reach w/out removing the dist. I think I've done everything exactly as the Chilton and you and Slick have described: 14 mm bolt is removed. Everything's marked. It should just slide right up, right? It rotates back and forth a little, should I just try and pry it up?

There's one screw in the corner of the cover that is impossible to reach w/out removing the dist. I think I've done everything exactly as the Chilton and you and Slick have described: 14 mm bolt is removed. Everything's marked. It should just slide right up, right? It rotates back and forth a little, should I just try and pry it up?

well, depending on what you mean by "pry", yes, of everything is removed (screws, bolts, etc) then you just have to teach it who's boss.. GENTLY try to pry up a bit with a screwdriver while wiggling the stubborn sucker

Edited by Slick

The dizzy has an o-ring on it that keeps it seated. It just takes a bit of force to pull the distributor out. Put the rotor back on and match-mark it so you know where it needs to be when you put it back in. You're sure you can't get to that screw without taking it out? It's somewhat of a PITA to put back in, cause the gear at the bottom spins a little when you slide it back in and it meshes with the cam teeth. Make sure you mark where the rotor needs to point.