3.3 Topend Swap Information?

MikeV

I swear either I can't search properly :crossedwires: or I can't search properly! :stickwack:

I am happy to report I have a spare pathy with a broken frame, so I purchased one from California which runs fine, no WI salt in this frame (yet). (Both mine are 95's 1 auto 1 manual)

But I have an empty spot in the garage for an engine or 2 as in maybe a 3.3 supercharged out of an X-terra and my spare engine from the old pathy for some combining action. (or even a reg 3.3 if supercharged is an issue.

Just need a point in the right direction as I have time and a bit of money for the project.

As I said I did try search but I'm a bit slow so don't whoop me 2 bad :stickwack:

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

Sorry,

I read about the top-end swap a while ago and thought there was a thread about the swap with links; I just couldn't find it in search.

So I guess the question is anyone have any descent linkies to the info I will need to complete my journey?

Thanks.

Mike

If you're just wondering about swapping the intakes, yes, I believe if you simply remove the whole 3.3 intake you can bolt your 3.0 intake on. The bigger problem you face is using the 3.3 crank balancer and pulley with the stock 3.0 accessories, the belts are different IIRC.

If you are thinking of building a similar motor to ours, since there are many variations of oil pump, crank snout, balancer and drive pulley on these motors, you are probably best off installing the crank, balancer, oil pump, oil pan and water pump from your vehicle into the VG33 engine. Fortunately all of the bolt bosses for the accessory drives and motor mounts are exactly the same Between the VG30 and the VG33. This saves time and money for the big bore conversion.

By the way...

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february05/pathfinder/

Thanks 88,

I already went thru the project pathfinder link and if I had the extra $ I would do it.

I think the machine shops around Milwaukee would rape me for the work. I can do lifts, weld a bit but no machining experience (Math "sklills" :thumbsdown: )

As I'm an IT guy with alot of tools in his garage, boy is due 7/7/07 so I dumped my 91 TTZ, bike, sled. :stickwack:

Held firm on the Pathies as my toy(s) to keep, so I'll be around here a bit more; not asking to many more questions. :puterpunch:

I'm going to spend some time on steering and suspension for a while then see where I want to go.

Thanks again!

Mike

I'd swap your cams from your 3.0 heads onto the 3.3 heads if you ever do the swap. you can reuse your 3.0 crank if you don't want to have the 3.3 crank machined to fit the 3.0 pulley. you'll most likely need new bearings but plastigage first and see if everything is within specs.

I'd swap your cams from your 3.0 heads onto the 3.3 heads if you ever do the swap. you can reuse your 3.0 crank if you don't want to have the 3.3 crank machined to fit the 3.0 pulley. you'll most likely need new bearings but plastigage first and see if everything is within specs.

u can use the 3.0 crank in the 3.3 block? if so i didnt know this, i thought the only option was to machine the 3.3 crank to fit the pully. that is much easier cool.

• 6 years later...