Tire Questions

DaveS

id like to put bigger tires on my pathy what is the biggest that i can get away with with out lifting my truck. it is a 94 with 174,000 miles and what i believe to be stock springs and shocks. could you run stock gears and still get good performance in the hills and how difficult is it to change the spedo gears so the speedometer will read right. i need to but new tires on my pathy any way. so any recommendations for all terrain tires that will do decent in mud but good on snow and hard ground would be great i would also like to preserve a acceptable highway ride would be great. also i don't under stand the 3 digit numbers that my pathy lists for stock sizes if any one could tell me how to decipher those numbers that would be great. and where do i look to see what stock gears i have somebody mentioned a plate under the hood but i was unable to locate the gearing on any plates but i could just be blind.

The biggest tire you can run is 31x10.50R15. With stock gears and 31's you'll be fine. Don't know about changing the speedo cable, just divide 31(new tire size) by 28.9(stock tire size) and then multiply by speedo MPH. This shows you how fast you are really going. ex: 31/28.9*60=63.36 MPH. Also do this with your odometer to check your gas milage. BFG A/T's are great. The 3 digit number is a metric tire size. Go to a tire site such as discounttire.com and look at the tire calculators. The plate for stock gearing is on the passenger side fire wall and is gold.

Edited by 93PathfinderWA

so any recommendations for all terrain tires that will do decent in mud but good on snow and hard ground would be great i would also like to preserve a acceptable highway ride would be great.

Let me guess you want them cheap and to last forever too? :lol:

Sorry that's just what everyone wants.

As for the sizes 235/75R15 = 30X9.50R15 and 265/75R15 = 31X10.50R15

There is a tyre thread here and there are loads of feedback on a stack of different tyres "SEARCH"

i was actualy thinking of running 30's by 8 or 9 because i dont want to risk rubing even if i do launch the front end and the springs probably have saged in there old age.

if any one knows about the spedo cables that would be great

thx dave