LSD

deej

Recently got stuck and I was wondering if my LSD is working. Shouldn't both tires turn when in the mud even if stationary? And what should happen if one tire is off the ground and one has minimal traction (resistance)? Should the "aired" tire turn too? :help:

I think the factory LSD's from Nissan come pretty loosely set, so it takes a bit of wheel spin from one tire for it to engage and give power to the other tire. As for one tire in the air, that tire without traction should be the first one to spin, and if the LSD is working the other tire will start spinning after the first tire has spun a certain amount. I've found that when I lose traction in the rear, it works well when I give it a little gas so one of the rear tires spins a decent amount, then the LSD engages the other tire so I let off the gas and gain some traction. B)

One simple thing I forgot to add...If your LSD is working, you should be able to jack up the rear end of your truck, spin one tire, and the opposite tire should spin the opposite way. If this doesn't happen, you have a problem. Another thing to consider is the fact that LSD's wear out after time, so if you think yours isn't working well, you may want to get a new one.

No no no.

That's an OPEN diff that spins one tire one way and the other the opposite direction.

In a LSD equipped axle both tires will spin the same direction. The stock Nissan LSD works OK for a while but they tend to loosen up after you put some mileage on the vehicle. I've seen old LSD's spin one tire before repeatedly.