Coolant Leak!

arcano

I've had a small coolant leak whose source I had not been able to pinpoint for a long time, and I think I just found it. I thought I would mention it here in case anyone is having a similar problem...

I knew I had a leak because my coolant would go down slowly over time (about a liter of water/coolant over a period of a week). Sometimes I would drive around all day and couldn't see any sign of a leak, but sometimes after a long drive I could see a few drops of coolant dripping from the bottom of the clutch housing, right below the back of the engine, towards the firewall. The truck runs fine as long as I top off the coolant every so often. Only twice did it run a bit hot, but it was due to the coolant being low, and as soon as I topped it off it was Ok. At first I was afraid it was an engine seal or gasket, and I was preparing for an expensive repair job.

Well, the other day I pulled into my driveway, looked under the car, and saw a few drops of fresh coolant dripping from under the transmission. I was able to follow the trail, and found what I think might be the culprit: a couple of small hoses that come out of the back of the engine and feed the in-cabin heater (which off course I never use down here in Panama). The hoses are a bit swollen, and there seems to be a little coolant leaking from around the clamp that holds one of the hoses in place. There seem to be two hoses back there (in and out I guess). Only one seems to be leaking, but considering that neither has ever been changed, I should probably replace them both while I am at it.

Looks like I will tackle this problem over the weekend, so any tips or suggestions are welcomed. Has anybody had a problem with these hoses leaking? Does anyone know the part numbers for these hoses, or how hard they are to replace? Also, since I never use the heater here in Panama, I was thinking about feeding the outlet into the inlet and getting rid of the in-cabin heater altogether, but I don't know if there are any reasons for not doing this.

Edited by arcano

Well, after further inspection this morning, it turned out not to be the heater hoses, but a smaller hose (about 3/4" x 4") that makes a 90 degree turn back into the engine block, sort of like a bypass hose or something. I was lucky enough to find it at the dealer for a decent price (about $8), and will be changing it in a few moments...I will probably also flush the system and put new coolant in, since I have been topping the radiator every few days for a couple of months, so I am not sure exactly what kind of cooland mix I have in there.