no start for my 89

Guest fallguy

Guest fallguy

my '89 wont turn over. there was no warning of starter problems and all wiring appears to be in tact. the main relay was clicking quite rapidly i replaced that and still had no luck. i resulted to push-starting it and popping the clutch and it ran fine. there was still no response from the starter though. now, i can't even push start it. it won't fire. we even pulled it behind a tractor for a half mile or so and let the clutch out several times and it wouldn't go.

i'm not very good with electrical, so if anybody has any suggestions i would greatly appricate to hear them. the main ground from the battery to the block looks ok too.

is this a common "easy fix" problem?

thanks, fallguy. :shrug:

Pathys are pretty tempermental on grounding issues. Check all your main grounds, I know it can be a pain to find but it sounds like a bad ground to me. Did you notice your alternator light on the last time you used it? If your alternator went bad and your battery is bellow 10 volts it will also give you freaky problems. Hope this helps.

Either the starter solenoid wire is corroded or loose, or your battery is shot... Common problem, I hear. Do your headlights/accessories work?

Couple of quotes from the AC BBS:

Tapping it is the test - if it starts up when you tap on it, the solenoid is stuck. The battery was probably just running down because you were trying to start and it never did, so it didn't have a chance to charge up.

My 93 only has 2 wires going to the starter. The positive cable and then the trigger wire for the solenoid. Wih mine it(the solenoid trigger wire) is black with a pink(or is it purple?)stripe. I installed a relay that is triggered by the original switch wire that feeds power straight from the battery to the solenoid and the problem went away. Simple and less than $10 to do.

another thought would be the actual ignition wiring ... coroded or otherwise not having a good connection would end with the same results ...

but more than likely the wiring to the starter selenoid ...

Guest fallguy

thanks guys! WAVEY

if it were the starter solenoid it shouldn't cause it not to start with a push. it won't go with a boost either, this eleminates battery problem. i have full accs. & headlights too. i tapped the sh*t out of the starter too.

i'll give all wires another check, they seemed alright, but maybe i have a bad connection.

i'll let you know.

thanks again! :beer:

I'd check with grounding as previously stated, then check your solenoid.. if those things are ok , time for a new bendix.. I had that problem about 4 years ago. and it turned out to need a new starter. You can check them with a pair of jumper cables.

Guest fallguy

even bum starting it?

i checked everything again today, no dice. a starter will cost me $300. if i replace it and still no go, i'll be peesed. :huh:

Ok, my reading comprehension wasn't all that yesterday, i didn't catch the part about pulling int for half a mile.

That is a bit of a pickle hmmmm, thats kinda tough. the only time mine did something like that was when i broke the timing belt.

some things to try.

Replace battery cables, (at one time i had to do this because of low voltage problems)

Did you try to jump start it? it so what happened?

The only thing i can see that might stop it from starting while being push started are

1) computer

2) bad cables and or connections

3)timeing belt (if you poped the clutch on this.. maybe they are kinda funny this way. I broke a timeing chain on an old Ford this way as well) my timeing belt broke when i down shifted hard comming to a stop.

i know this sounds like alot but they are easy things to check.

good luck

Guest fallguy

thanks again, i'll give it a once over.

it might be bad cables. they appear ok, but sometimes the ground will rot out in places you can't see. i never thought of the timing chain. i had one go in my camaro right after i turned the key off. i'll check that too. as far as the computer, is there anyway to visually see this, or just trial and error?

i've tried all the little tricks, tapping the starter with a bar, jumping it with another battery, checked wiring, its got me beat.

this is why i was asking if there were any common problems with these pathfinders. oh well, looks like a six-pack and a saturday afternoon job.

i'll let you if i get it running.

thanks. :wacko:

I could have missed it, but what happens when you turn the key:

does the solenoid try and kick out the starter gear? Does it make any noise whatsoever?

-> If no, it's electrical...

---> If yes, the solenoid is working as it should, does the starter try and kick over?

-------> if no, then it's a bad starter

--------------> If yes, then it probably is an engine issue

process of elimination - figure out where it is failing first. there is a specific series of events that need to occur as you start the engine. My guess is that since you tried jump starting with both battery and a push/pull and nothing happened, then it's an electrical issue. When you jumped with a different battery, what happened? What kinds of noises did it make?

Guest fallguy

belts, chains- same sh!t different pile. you guys work it out between yourselves.

son of a b$tch, i had to move it today, so we pulled it out of way with the tractor again, and i dumped the clutch and it started. i must have a bad ground. at least i got it back home now. still no strater though.

when i turn the key, the main relay clicks really bad. i replaced the relay as a first cheap remidy. all accessories work fine. the starter makes a quiet click and i can hear the fuel pump going. thats all i can say. at least i know its not the timing BELT or computer.

i have a three day weekend to look it over at home now, i'll let you fella's know.

thanks again, :)

I'd agree with that diagnosis Dr. 88... no drive gear popping out and no starter noises sound like trouble. The fact that all your accessories and stuff work makes me think that the grounds are fine... those things wouldn't be working with the same sort of consistency, I would wager, if there were a bad ground...

but then again, I forgot to memorize the Pathfinder electrical schematic, so I could be wrong... :help:

Here's a post from the 4x4parts forum - this fix was developed for old/bad wiring to the starter solenoid ... be sure to check out the attachment at the top of the first post ... I believe that this should help you clear up the problems you're experiencing ...

Starter Fix

• 1 year later...
Guest Pathy88SE

it could be bad wiring to the battery or the cables arent attached all the way.

is your battery held down? if it isnt then that could be the problem because my

88 did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and i came to find out that my

battery wasnt held down so it had a little bit of space to move around thus causing

the battery cables to come a bit loose to where it wasnt getting a solid hook up.