Better gear oil info

87 Pfinder

this info comes from petrol eng. from Chevron and Royal Purple and my own experience. As every pathy owner already knows GL-5 gear oil has a high level of an additive that is sulfer-phosphorus. It will react badly to soft yellow metals. The info on this site says to use Red Line 90. That is a good choice but exspensive. If a gear oil says GL-4/GL-5, that means it coforms to the GL-4 spec of not eating soft metals. It probably has sulfer in it but it is a lower level than only GL-5 rated. There are not many oils that are GL-4/GL-5 that do not have any sulfer. One is Chevron Delo 80w-90 ESI, instead it uses a unique pressure additive that utilizes a inorganic borate compound. It is around 5$ a qt. and I think it is probably the best bet for Nissan trans and transfers. Not saying that Red Line is not a great oil. It seems that all of Valvolines gear oils are GL-5 only, correct me if I am wrong. Royal Purple sells a Max Gear that is GL-4/Gl-5, they stand behind that it will not harm soft metals. I read on here that someone told another to drain his Royal Purple from his trans, that is a waste of exspensive oil. Sta-Lube, which is quality also, makes a straight GL-4 that I found at Napa. It is cheaper but will get the job done. Don't forget that the transfer needs GL-4 also and straight GL-5 will harm it like the trans. Don't forget to put 5 qts in the trans, I parked on a very steep side hill instead of pulling the shifter. I hope this info helps.

Kris Loomis, ASE tech

Lets see, if I put GL4 or GL5 in my transfer case...it would be shot.

Mine takes ATF also.

Red Line is good stuff. I get it for only 9 bucks a quart. Worth it for my tranny with 230,000 plus miles on it. Stickey to get it into first gear sometimes ...but otherwise smooth as a dolphins ass..... well, that is...if a dolphin had an ass.

Actually, the fluid spec change was apparently done with no change in design or material on the transfer case. They're all the same from 87-95 at least(with exception to 92-ups that use a vehicle speed sensor in the t-case, earlier models have a VSS in the rear of the transmission instead). It's been theorized that any TX10 transfer case can run on either type of fluid and be perfectly fine. Mine takes GL-4 as per my FSM.