Rear end bad...

geoff

Well it seems the entire rear end on my Pathy is bad. I found another one at a junk yard for $450. Is this a good idea, to use a used one? And also has anyone changed one before? Is it a difficult job? I have a friend who is going to help me with it.

for the most part it is pretty much a bolt off/bolt on kinda thing ... but you should be wary of the condition of the brakes and bearings ... other than that it isn't very hard at all ... it would be wise to get all new bushings while your at it ...

I'm not up to speed on the post 90 pathies but maybe 88 can help out here.. I have a good 4.375 open carrier rear end drum to drum complete from an 87 that i'll let go for 200 bucks.. if it'll work for you.. 450 bucks from a junk yard.. OUCH

Shipping on that thing would cost you another $100, heh.

A used axle would be fine to swap in, just make sure your front and rear diff ratios match. A manual tranny-equipped Pathy has 4.3 gears, an auto has 4.6 gears. Then it's just unbolting stuff, taking the axle off and bolting the new replacement on.

They arnt that hard to do

I just had the whole axel on the ground when i replaced the rear springs with the JGC springs and new shocks. and yea its just a simple bolt on set-up. made it easy just have about 2 people and a couple of jacks and some tools and your set.