tranny swap

bigboy72383

i have a 95 pathy i just bought with a bad auto trans. i also have a 89 hardbody

that is gracious enough to give me its 5 spd. now i know that the auto has the

electronic rev/speed sensor. my question is, can the older 5 spd be retrofitted with the new electronics? thanks for the help.

Nope, The hardbody will have a cable screwed into the side of the tranny toward the rear on the passenger side. That is your speedo cable. You can unscrew it and hook up a power drill and it'll register on the dash how fast your drill can go...

That being said. You do have a chance to hack up the inside of the 95's cluster enough to get the analog speedo from the 89 to fit in the original speedo's place.(A dremel will be needed.) Then you still have to salvage that cable from the HB and cut a hole in the pathies firewall to gain access to the back of the cluster in your pathies dash. (The newer pathies with electronic speedos don't already have a hole cut in the back of the cluster or the firewall for the cable to pass thru.)

I did mine like that during my swap, but haven't gotten around to actually hooking up the speedo cable to the cluster. I can snap a pic or two of what mine came out looking like after I shoehorned it in if you'd like to see how good it can look. The numbers on the analog speedos are a little farther apart and a little more out from the center, but it doesn't look too bad. You can still see plenty of the numbers to know how fast you're going.

^ i started that but abandoned ship after the cable gave me problems mating up...so im mtg the speedo/ odometer down on the right hand side of the dash to where it can still be seen through the steering wheel...and then i will be getting a gps to verify the speed nad have it located in a more viewable spot.

the trannys will swap (for the v6's i dont know about the 4cyl)...u will have to add in the clutch pedal and brake pedal assembly, all the plumbing for the clutch, remove the cover plate in the floor and replace with the 5 spd cover plate and create a jumper for the auto's interlock so it'll get juice to the coil...other than that it should be pretty straight forward...

i think u also have to change the pilot bushing

wrong.

ok. your 95 auto pathfinder will have the VSS in the transfer case.

so, once you pull both transmissions swap tcases and then your VSS will plug back up, its that simple.

yea man. thats why i was a little confused when you were talkin to me about the VSS and whatnot...so i was just like oh well if it dosent work my way who cares...but it did....so we are all right...no worries.

yep at least for the time being...i just need to get it mounted permanently instead of it flopping around in the floorboard...now that i sold the scout i can push it back in the garage if its nasty out so i can get her ready for some URE runs B4 heading out to cali

and if it stops working i'll just somehow use a GPS to record mileage and speed until i get the urge to drop the t case and swap out sensors