Rancho In-cab controls

RatioCynic

The rear comfort level in my '92 Pathy has gone to hell in the last few months. So I bot Rancho's RS9000X shocks and installed the rear ones. The ride has improved already! Front ones [RS99214] to be installed this week. Unfortunately[?], I wish I had read this forum on the subject and selected the RS99116 [instead of the 118s] for the rear. How serious of a matter is it not having the 1" extra shock length of the 116's? I dont off-road with her anymore so I dont see it critical.

On to the question of this post. I'm considering Rancho's In-cab controls, since I used the adjustments quite a bit with the old OE shocks. Anyone have any experience with the in-cab controls for these shocks? Is it worth the ~$150? I've heard of installation issues? Anyone care to comment on that as well? Thx RC

Don't know anyone personally who's installed the in-cab adjuster, but let me know how you like it if you do install one. I just got a set of the Rancho RS9000X shocks for my Pathfinder, but haven't yet had time to install them.

In case you hadn't seen it, here's a writeup on the in-cab adjuster on Nissan Performance Mag's website:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february04/Pathfinder/

I frequent the Pathy board at NissanPerformanceMag.com. Their ongoing Project Pathfinder is the reason I bot the Ranchos. In time, I will implement many of the same mods. I like what they want to accomplish with their mods and fits well with how I use my Pathy.

Interestingly, the local Rancho dealer that I bot the shocks from discouraged me from installing the In-cab controls NOT on the basis that it doesn't work, but because as a DIY project the difficulty level was high [i don't necessarily agree]. And he also admitted that for them to install it the labor charge was going to be high [~$200]. So I am particularly interested in hearing people's experience on this install. Anyone here done this one? RC

My friend has the in cab controls for his Rancho 9000's. He loves it. Since he just recently did a solid axle swap on his Pathy, he loves the almost instant control to tame body roll on the street.

It's time consuming to run the air lines. I've seen half assed jobs and I've seen clean jobs. You really want to take your time at this point to do a clean install.

wish I had read this forum on the subject and selected the RS99116 [instead of the 118s] for the rear. How serious of a matter is it not having the 1" extra shock length of the 116's? I dont off-road with her anymore so I dont see it critical.

If you don't offroad it, why would you need longer shocks in the first place? So...no. It's not a problem. Stock length shocks will work fine for you. Longer shocks are for better rear axle articulation and flex.

Well I shouldn't say "I don't off-road it". Sometimes when I drive down into Boulder and see the Univ of CO coeds walking on a warm spring day my truck does leave the road...if you know what I mean :o

Cool, nothing really lost going with the 116 Ranchos.

Thx Mookie for confirming my thots on the in-cab install. Seems the plastic lines that Rancho supplies may be suseptible to wear at contact points with the chassis/body, eg coming thru the firewall, nearby axle movement and vibration. Would need to take special precautions in those areas by carefully routing the lines and use frictionless sleeves. RC