transmission help part 2

adahy22

if you want to read previous post in transmission help

hahaha i guess everyone has gave up on me.

i have maybe some more clues to this problems so you can help!!!!!!!!!!!

the grinning or rumble is only happening while in OD and in 4th gear.

if i let leave it off it don t happen so i assume it s something in 4th or OD which is similar

so what can i do or tell my mechanic to do ??

most of you say the torque converter but if it was that it will be in all gears right !?!!

i was thinking maybe just drive it till it blows up (sad to say)and then put new tranny what is the average price for tranny BTW???

should i change the filter and flush it out still right

then get the external cooling system or it s not worth it since i will probably have to get a new tranny ?

or is this a major problems or can be fixed by doing some simple stuff??

BTW i put some lucas transmission fluid in it and i noticed it was runnibg soother but the problem with 4th is still there.

simple but stupid question ,how can you tell if your tranny is heating up or running really hot because i have some weird smell coming from (where the hand brake is )i stick my nose there and is a weird smell ckeck for leak but don t see any .

it s seems that is coming from inside the exhaust.

another question can the exhaust manifold problems cause major problems or can it be leaking out that smell which if i open the hood i don t smell it so it s definetly coming form the tranny area

thanks so much if you answer this ,i really need advice and ideas before getting screwed by people

• 4 weeks later...

do a fluid swap change the filter and get a cooler on it. even if you get a cooler and it still blows up on you. you can use the cooler on the new tranny. (coolers are almost madatory with the pathy autos) if it ran smoother with more fluid it way be you just need new fluids. IMO

I still stick to what I was telling you in your first post. I think it's a tranny chatter when the torque converter locks up. Mine had the same symptoms you are describing and I drove it till it stoped (not recomended). I then decided to replace the tranny oil and clean the filter just to see. It got it going again and the chatter was gone. It has aprox 30,000 KM since and still going. I wouldn't do a flush though, just drop the oil and change the filter and see. I'm not giving you garranties, but it's cheaper than 2Gs for a tranny.

As for your smell. My vote is for the famous Pathy rusted floor symptom. Check and see if your floor is hot on the drrivers side (if an American Pathy), just where the side of your accelerator foot would rest on the tranny well.

Denis