CB radio

xkrewx

Yeah. The Wilson Antennas are the best antennas you can buy for a non-commercial application. There are better mobile antennas out there, but they cost a lot more and are very difficult to mount on a vehicle as small as a Pathy as they're designed for big-rigs.

The through-roof antenna will get a better SWR as it's grounded to the body of your vehicle, than the magnet mount, which is grounded through the wire.

For a weekend-warrior type application, like what I think you're intentions are with this, the magnet mount will work just fine.

Well...the 1000 is also a very good antenna. In fact, it used to be the best antenna on the market -- until they released the 5000.

If you're trying to save money, save money on the radio side of things -- or, instead of eating out one day next week, eat in, you'll save the money that would make up the difference. Don't skimp on the antenna. Your CB range (even though you don't think you're going to be using it that much) could be the difference between life and death. Go back and re-read kmgar99's post about his friend with the compound fracture. If he didn't have a well installed and properly tuned antenna, he would never have gotten in touch the Rangers, and his friend would have been in a lot worse shape.

A ver simple way to wire your CB is just get a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter plug for $5.00 at Radio Shack. They have a nice one where all you have to do is depress a small button and push the wire in. It is marked + and -....red is pos and blk is neg. You can then plug it into a lighter or 12 volt power port that most all vehicles have several of now days. That way the wires can be tucked down between the seat and console when not in use. Like the others said, get a good antenna and make sure it is tuned. I have a magnetic roof mount that is easy to put behind the seat when not in use but works great when I need it.

I have my 12V+ wired directly to my battery. The ground is sent to a grounding terminal on my chassis.

Another option is to tap into the cigarette lighter circuit. I suggest grounding the radio to your chassis, and not using an electrical ground. If you use an electrical ground, you're setting yourself up for feedback. I also installed a diode in my ground wire so that current cannot flow back through the radio when I shut it off.

As RWC said, using a Cigarette lighter plug is another good option, if you don't want the radio to be permanently mounted. The only issue with this is that your truck has to be on in order for the radio to work. The main reason I wired my radio directly to the battery is because when I have club events, I leave my radio on in my truck so I can hear when people are calling out to camp if I'm not in my truck. Also, the weather alert only works when the radio is on, and believe me, when you're camping in slot canyons, you NEED it to work.

so i have to lengthen the wire somehow, should i just use a wire nut to take it to the battery terminal and to the chassis?

the diode thing youre talking about seems like a very good idea where can i pick one up?

Edited by xkrewx

I would suggest running a fused (15A (or whatever your radio specifies, but not more than 20A), 14AWG) wire from your battery to the radio. You can splice that wire into the wire on the radio. Be sure to use a proper connector and not just twist and tape it. You'll need a type of spade connector in order to connect the wire to your battery terminal. They make them with round openings that will slide over the bolt that clamps the terminal onto the post.

Do the same for the ground. Be sure that the location of the ground is at least a few inches from any other direct ground. Do not use a common ground point, as this can cause issues with crossover, especially if you use a common ground with your stereo. you're going to need to scrape off all of the paint around your ground location and ground it to a bolt, or use a self-drill screw to fix the grounding spade to the chassis. You can then spray some paint over the ground location to prevent corrosion.

the diode thing youre talking about seems like a very good idea where can i pick one up?

Radio Shack will have all of the electrical connectors and accessories that you'll need. If you go to a reputable one, and the person behind the counter knows anything about electronics, they'll be able to assist you in picking up the right parts the first time around to avoid any, possibly serious, issues.

Electrical circuits generate heat. When there is too much resistance, they generate a LOT of heat. Too much heat can produce fire. Fire + Truck = badness. You don't want fire.

I agree that the best possible way to wire the radio is to just run the wires right to the battery. I used to do that but have gotten old and lazy and tired of trying to find a hole to run the dang wires through the fire wall, not to mention the total lack of room in the engine compartment. That way will avoid all the interference that can come from other sources. I have the radio permantly mounted but chose the cig lighter approach as I only use it when off-road or away from the city area. You get tired of nothing but jerks telling the world to "F" off on every channel. CB's are not much use in big cities anyway as they are line of sight transmit and receive and big buildings kill the performance.

the wire coming out of the radio already has a fuse on the red wire...should i still get a fused wire?

or should i just get long enough wire to reach the battery and the grounding spot?

negative ground sytem correct?

Edited by xkrewx

You should eliminate the fuse at the radio, and put a new fuse closer to the battery.

Yes, ground the negative.

Copied from PM:

im sorry a fused wire means that there is a fuse on it?

and where can i find that sort of wire and how do you suggest i splice them together?

Yes, basically. You can get everything you need at Radio Shack. Many Chain Auto Parts Stores carry automotive specific electrical equipment. You may be smart to buy a mini-spade type fusible link from your local auto parts chain and some spare fuses that match the mini-spade fuses that your truck uses. I know that when I first started messing around with electrical stuff on my truck, I messed up and popped more than my fair share of fuses. But that's better than the alternative, which is catching something on fire.

This can simply be spliced in-line with the connecting wire that runs to the radio. The fuse should be no more than a foot from the power source (battery).

You could always splice and solder into the cig. lighter in the dash, seeing as you're going to be down there anyways for the install...so easy, a caveman could do it :D

Edited by navygz19

The only issue with this is that your truck has to be on in order for the radio to work.

That's not so bad, means you wont leave the CB on accidently when you leave the truck parked, and drain the battery. Dunno how much juice these pull... :shrug:

tired of trying to find a hole to run the dang wires through the fire wall

if you have an auto, there is a hole on the drivers side covered by a plate, Ive ran the wiring for the CB PA speaker, and lights thru it...

That is so condescending

It's a joke man, haven't you ever seen a GEICO ad?

And I said that becuase that's exactly what I did, as an idea to him. Sheesh. P...

Edited by navygz19

:o Wow,

Oh, Yeah, umm nothing particularly helpful to add here except that I bought a two dollar cb radio and a ten dollar antenna and I have wonderful reception for about 5 feet, after that it is all static, hmmmm.

It's a joke man, haven't you ever seen a GEICO ad?

And I said that becuase that's exactly what I did, as an idea to him. Sheesh. P...

errrr....that is in the commercial as well, he was playing along :hide: