Tranny goes out briefly when braking hard.

v6engine

Something weird is going on with my tranny. Last January, I brake had to avoid going through an orange light (not to trigger the traffic cam). Once I stopped, I noticed that the truck wouldn't move at all. It appeared that when I stepped on the gas there is no response from the tranny.

I would say that some 5 seconds later, the tranny comes back to life and I was able to proceed once the light turned green. I was later able to duplicate the same symptoms in a parking lot. Checked fluids and everything is fine (color, level). Truck is a 2WD 1990 model with over 280K. Tranny was installed in 2004 when the truck had about 263K.

I just wanted to know what could be causing this? I planned to change my tranny fluid this spring.

By tranny not working can you give us a better idea as to how it's reacting. Reason? Are you sure that it's your tranny and not your brakes? Could be a colapsing brake line locking up a wheel. Since it was on a hard brake incident.

Denis

Not familiar with the filter design in the pathfinder AT. But one possibility is that the filter is cracked at the neck(if applicable) or come loose or the gasket went. Just something to look for when you have the filter off. The fluid may be sloshing enough to let the trans suck air through the break (or whatever) in the filter.