Cranks but wont start

csutke

All rights here the low down on my situ. Yesterday i pulled my 98 R50 out of the drive way to allow my fiance to get out of the drive way, when i went to start it up to pull it back in to the drive way it wouldnt start. My first idea was it was out of gas so i called her back and had her get me some gas. I put in 2 gallons and nothing so i thought that i didnt put in enough so i put in 2 more nothing. I called a friend he thought that since it had gotten so low that i had gotten all the crap out of in the tank and in to the fuel lines. The weird thing is that when he showed up i got it started. So we changed the fuel filter (which needed to be changed anyway) and no difference. We also pulled an injector and looked at it, it was clean and not clogged. Well our next idea was the fuel pump relay. So i went and shelled out about $30 (i know i got screwed) for a new one at the dealership(only place that had one in stock, i have to get this fixed NOW), i put the new relay in and nothing. Also i cant seam to find the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if im even getting fuel and or pressure to the injectors, can anybody point me in the right direction. So i really hope its not the fuel pump as im low on funds and time but i also hope that its nothing worse. Any idea would be greatly welcome.

You can pinch the fuel lines as they go to the fuel rail. As someone else cranks, you can feel the fuel pulse. I would check for spark also. Any codes or check engine light?

Oh, when you turn the key on, not start, can you hear the pump make a buzz sound for a few seconds?

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

There was no check engine light when i got it it started and i thought i could hear the pump but im not positive and yea ive got spark as it started for a few seconds a few times

Edited by csutke

Dat....was me. Many thanks to Simon for his brilliant idea about checking the fuse...got me to work *almost* on time.

I even made it downtown for lunch and back. I just finished up at work, went outside and blew another fuse :angry:

So, I try the 15 A fuse, blow that one after the truck ran for about 15 seconds.

Now (after searching around here), I am heading back out to check for a short back at the fuel pump. Wish me luck...

Check out this thread csutke: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...=fuel+pump+fuse

Any chance it could be wet?

Interestingly, on the way back to the orafice today I stopped at one of those touchless car washes that blasts the bottom with high pressure water. I'll be heading back out in the morning to check for water around the sending unit.

Do you have rubber lines going to the fuel filter if so you can tee in a fuel pressure gauge there. It sounds to me like the fuel pump went out. Running it low on fuel gets the fuel pump hot and can take them out. Also if a fuel pump gets worn out it can draw excessive amperage and pop fuses.

Edited by meangreenmachine

well i got it figured out it was the relay, but the problem was when i put the fuse back in the fuse panel i didnt push it in all the way i guess cause when i pulled it with my dad the fuse fell on the floor, i put it in the panel and voila it started, thanks to all who posted

Yeah, I think you are dead on. Fuel pump and sending unit being replaced in the morning...just an FYI $350 for a fuel pump and $190 for sending unit. LET THIS BE A LESSON, DON'T RUN OUT OF GAS!!!]

i think your getting screwed on the price of the pump, check out drivewire.com i found pumps there for around 200 or less

Yeah, I think you are dead on. Fuel pump and sending unit being replaced in the morning...just an FYI $350 for a fuel pump and $190 for sending unit. LET THIS BE A LESSON, DON'T RUN OUT OF GAS!!! P...

I got a fuel pump from auto zone for 150 some dollars I think