Recovery Hooks / Tow Piont / Snatch Safety

disfordog

Hi,

Although I'm relatively new here (never posted, but did all my mods with the help of you guys!), I thought I could throw in some info on recovery hooks and see what comes back...

Introduction To Snatch Recoveries

Minimum Standards For Tow Hook Mounting

Specification For Recovery Hooks

I am still running two factory hooks on the front, in the stock position, bolted into the stock captive nuts in the chassis.

I'd like to fit two 10,000Lb rated hooks to my front end somewhere but it looks like I may have to get some steel welded on to be able to attach them properly. I assume any bar work will primarily use the same 4 captive nuts, and maybe include the flimsy bumper mounts... not withstanding any custom fab work obviously...

I'd be keen to see pics of y'all bullet proof recovery points! Or if anyone knows where to get rated hooks with the Pathy bolt spacing? Has anyone bent or busted a factory hook? Stripped the bolts from the captive nuts? Anyone know where to find the load rating? If any?

You guys rock!

:aok:

I also have been running 2 factory hooks up front, along with a receiver hitch out back. I've pulled several rigs front and back, no worries. I can't comment on the limits, but I'd say they're pretty stout, as much as a Pathfinder should be attempting at least. There's no substitute for common sense.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

the hook is only as strong as the hardware used to mount it up...so make sure they're some good grade steel (not no lowes or home depot (hardware store) crap) make sure they're good strong bolts and see if you can find the shear strength of them and makes ure it makes sense to use with what your pulling

:idea:

Maybe some L shaped 10mm steel so that the new rated hook would keep the same orientation as the factory hook. Drill one side of the L-plate to the chassis bolt pattern and the other side of the L-plate to the rated hook bolt pattern.

I guess its possible to drill the chassis and weld another captive nut in there so that the L-plate will have 3 bolts to the chassis.... -study-

I've never had a prob with my hooks as they are, but i guess the over engineering in the above PDF's has got me a little nervious, esp since I used to run the 10,000 pounders on my 'yota... but the front Pathy hooks have shrugged off a good whiping extracting my old Toy'!!! P...

meh, factory hooks up front, class 3 hitch with pintel hook out back for recovery. i have 4 10k tow hooks sitting in a bag..... may put those on king.... but mini's equipment works just fine.

and yes, there are a couple guys here who pretzled tow hooks while on recovery....