Specific Question for 88Pathoffroad

Guest tgirouard

Guest tgirouard

OK, I tried to find some springs from a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the Junk Yard, No GO! So i went down the the local parts store and found that new ones are only $69 bucks. Now my question is should i go with the two wheel drive or four wheel drive? There are two different part numbers. Also in the spring parts catalog it shows spring sizes. On the Damagedreality website it shows the spring total length to be 16.5". Both the springs in the catalog are longer: 18 for the two wheel drive and 18.5 for the four wheel drive. Very confusing stuff. Also the spring configuration looks nothing like the picture on the website. Any ideas?

Here are the four wheel drive springs.

post-9-1084202981.jpg

Those springs in that picture look more like the Aerostar springs I tried out. Variable rate (hence the shorter spacing between the top coils), and 4" overall inside diameter. Are you guys sure you have the right part number? The springs should be for the front of a a 4WD, V8, Jeep Grand Cherokee from 1993-1997. The top of the spring should have a 3" inside diameter pigtail curl on it as opposed to the rest of the coil, which should be 4" inside diameter. The rear springs are actually shorter than the front, so I don't think that's the problem, either. Maybe aftermarket manufacturer JGC springs are made a little longer than stock for some reason or something, I dunno.

Guest tgirouard

They claim that these are the springs for the Jeep Garand cherokee V8 four wheel drive. They are the correct measurements top and bottom, as far as fitting in the mounts. The length is the problem. They are 1 1/2 inches taller. I know they are variable rate by the spacing, but i don't know how it will effect the ride.

Well, taller springs is the whole point, isn't it? Are you worried that they'll be too tall? You do know that you'll have to cut the pigtail off or heat it up and bend it out, right? That'll reduce the overall length by a bit. Maybe the springs you guys have on hand there are just a better replacement than stock units, I dunno.