It's that time of year again!

Gotrek

Well I couldn't find my old post. The pathfinder is at it again. -30, -40 celcius and the starter is frozen.

Man is it ever difficult to swing a hammer at it to get it going. Anyone else have problems with there starter freezing when it gets cold?

I hear the starter relay click and I can feel it click, I here the solenoid click but the motor draws no current or is stuck. This is a brand new starter to boot.

Anyone have home remedies for this? The truck is stuck in a parkage and can't be towed out. I had the heat gun blaring on it for 1 hour, did the cycle power on and off for 10 second thing, hit it with a sfh and a bfh no go.

I thought the heat gun would do the trick but it's so cold if I hold the gun there 20 minutes then touch the starter with my hand it's still cold :)

it's -49 farenheit :) outside (not counting the wind) you can grab a 150 W halogen bulb and it will never get hot enought to burn you :) a Small fire might do it.

I was planning on putting boards around the truck to seal it and then run a 1500W space heater under it. I don't own a garage.

It has two block heaters and an oil pan heater :)

this is affecting the starter specificly once started the truck runs as if it was already at operating temp. But the starter keeps freezing. I'm not sure how moisture is getting inside but I'm sure it has to do with the proximity of the header

Edited by Gotrek

Good god, man.... 49 BELOW?

I wouldn't work at those temps either!!!! Move me some place A LOT warmer and we'll talk about it. Eventually. After I finally forgive you. Which ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Why not get another self adhesive flexible sheet style oil pan warmer and stick it to the starter case?

Good god, man.... 49 BELOW?

I wouldn't work at those temps either!!!! Move me some place A LOT warmer and we'll talk about it. Eventually. After I finally forgive you. Which ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Why not get another self adhesive flexible sheet style oil pan warmer and stick it to the starter case?

Yeah -43 celsius :) -50 with the wind I'll let you convert that to Fahrenheit :) I've seen -50 without the wind before when I was younger. My 1980 new yorker starts no problem not plugged in :) (although I never do that to her on purpose)

I thought about putting a magnetic heater on the starter but I'm worried it will damage the electrical components in it.

I really don't think it will. Magnetic fields are bad for small, low current electronic devices like transistors and the like. But the components within a starter and its solenoid are great big things - a large coil in the solenoid and some big contacts. In the starter motor itself, just a great big winding.

I give it a one in a million chance of causing any problems.

(Just so you know, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and am working as a quality manager in high end electronics, so I'm relatively knowledgable about this stuff... :aok: )

I really don't think it will. Magnetic fields are bad for small, low current electronic devices like transistors and the like. But the components within a starter and its solenoid are great big things - a large coil in the solenoid and some big contacts. In the starter motor itself, just a great big winding.

I give it a one in a million chance of causing any problems.

(Just so you know, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and am working as a quality manager in high end electronics, so I'm relatively knowledgable about this stuff... :aok: )

Thanks! :) It started 10 minutes ago :) it's only -13 now :) (9 fahrenheit) Go fast weather changes -49 yesterday -13 today. Too bad we broke down and had it towed home :(

I'm installing a magnetic pan heater tonight someone is lending me one. We'll see if it helps.

We get a wide range of temps from -40 to +40 in summer :) I guess that's why ford tests a lot of new car models here.