Exhaust pipe diameter? Mufflers?

VW_Factor

I like the bolt on tip that Gibson has, I used one on my flowmaster cat back I had on my dakota.

James how does it sound?

yes how does it sound?!?! post up a video if you can!

I think it sounds good especially in the higher rpms. I was hoping for as quiet as I could get but still with good flow because I use this truck for hunting. I don't need a pissed off bumble bee following me through the woods! Once it's warmed up the idle is pretty loud. I'll try to make a video.

James

I think it sounds good especially in the higher rpms. I was hoping for as quiet as I could get but still with good flow because I use this truck for hunting. I don't need a pissed off bumble bee following me through the woods! Once it's warmed up the idle is pretty loud. I'll try to make a video.

James

Thanks man, looking forward for the video

That Gibson cat back is the next best thing to having a complete custom made exhaust. To give you an idea of how they sound, it's basically a stock muffler with a bigger diameter. My preference is for Flowmaster mufflers but the Gibson cat back is a damn good deal especially that it covers more than half the work you would have to do otherwise. The Gibson cat back is a great choice if you want a performance exhaust on the budget.

I heard an Xterra with a VG33E and a Gibson cat back. I don't know how well that video is going to come out with camera microphone distortion and all that but from the outside and inside it was silent until you revved it up. If you ever went from a regular muffler on a car to a Dynomax muffler that's pretty much the same effect you will get with a Gibson cat back. If you don't like the muffler you can always replace it but I would still get the cat back just for the piping being already there and bent for you.

Edited by Tungsten

It's welded but you can cut it off and weld in another one. It's not bad I would leave it on unless you have more money to spend. lol

If I knew they made a cat back in 2.5" before I built mine, I would have just gone with that.

Edited by Tungsten

Your half right about the pipe being welded which still counts as a wrong! The muffler has a flange welded to the front which bolts right to the convertor but the tail pipe just slides into the back of the muffler and is held with a clamp. You can't get all the info from just looking at the picture. You could use the tail pipe on another muffler if you want.

Also it's not silent until you rev it up. Yesterday I stopped at the post office at lunch and left it running because my wife was sitting in it. I could hear it idling from inside the post office. It does sound really good just I was hoping it would be quieter for hunting. I guess I have to sacrifice something for flow.

James

• Like 1

If you say so. That's even better then. Good to know it's detachable. It was welded on the X I looked at and couldn't really tell in the photo. :shrug:

It was definitely on the quiet side though. Are you sure yours is not leaking somewhere?

WOW !!! thanks for all that info! i would have never known! this makes me want to get it even more!! hey jamesrich can you do me a favor and take a photo of it under your truck so i can see how it really looks haha if you dont mind. and i kinda like it to be somewhat louder then the stock muffler

I'll try to get some pics this afternoon. I was screwing with it last night checking fuel pressure and I think I screwed up the TPS while trying to get the fuel hose off. Now it's just dumping fuel and barely running! Crap! A week before my first hunting trip too.

James

Finally got the photobucket app on my phone to work again! Here are a bunch of pics nice186 wanted. It's been to the woods so it's covered with mud and looks like it's been on there for a year already but it's only been installed for a month. That's why I went for the stainless system.

C994544E-7879-4964-87D8-BC2E95E5E76D-26104-000011E64075C613.jpg4B8FD0B7-9A88-4876-A48B-BDD38BE4F5DF-26104-000011E63B243717-1.jpg

image-1.jpg7614BDEB-C4D4-4B17-A245-5FF72C346AF0-26104-000011E63898D2EE.jpg

4C7952C2-3897-4173-B9E6-564A52FCF826-26104-000011E62EC6D735.jpg40E9AFF2-4073-4C49-8059-BEF784614EBF-26104-000011E62B0F5CE3.jpg

It came with a tip but I didn't put it on. The tail pipe was about a 1/4 inch from the hitch so I cut 1/4 inch off the tail pipe to give it more clearance. Other than that it was a perfect fit install.

I haven't had the time or help to make a good video so I grabbed this with my phone one morning leaving for work, at 4 in the morning. It's running with the fast idle around 1500rpms.

[media=]

[/media]

James

• Like 1

Sounds good to me! :aok:

One thing I'd recommend is to cut the bottom u-bolt on the mount a lot shorter and put a second nut on it that is wider than the remaining length of thread to protect the lead in. Personal preference, but you go off road and don't want that to catch on anything...

B

:aok:

Looks good to me.

I'm skeptical if that's a true 2.5" because it looks like a 2.25" from the picture. Could be my eyes though. Can you measure the outside diameter of the tail pipe?

Here is mine for comparison.

396105_10150958268369075_891911265_n.jpg

Thanks alot for the photos and video. now i see that it doesnt seem that hard to install pretty much looks like the u bolt, bolts in on a hole that is already there which makes it much easier then needing to drill a hole!! and do you still have the stock cat on?! i think before i even install this i will have to replace my 18 year old cat haha. maybe with a magaflow one? thanks again for the photos and video!

neither one of the kits is chrome, one uses aluminized pipe and on is stainless steel.

found this on the web:

"- Aluminized steel (very good corrosion resistance and durability; performs and looks good for many years with typical vintage vehicle usage and care)

- Stainless steel (excellent appearance and durability. “300” Series stainless is more brittle and has poorer thermal shock performance than “409” Series stainless, which is most often used in today’s OEM stainless systems)"

Don't forget that it is also the thickness that matters in exhaust piping when it comes to durability. A really cheap thin aluminized steel parts store pipe is going to last maybe 2 years in snow states compared to a proper thickness aluminized steel pipe. Same goes for stainless steel piping. The stainless will last longer than aluminized overall but stainless won't last forever either.

Sounds good to me! :aok:

One thing I'd recommend is to cut the bottom u-bolt on the mount a lot shorter and put a second nut on it that is wider than the remaining length of thread to protect the lead in. Personal preference, but you go off road and don't want that to catch on anything...

B

Good idea, I'll have to do that because I'm always dragging over things in the woods. I never really slowed down long enough to notice how long they were.

This was my last trip to one of my hunting spots. A large tree fell across the fire lane so I had to go around it. I got stuck crossing over a smaller tree on the ground then when I got over the tree it sunk to the axles.

65190803-4361-4E2D-9E80-D7A9C51932FD-26650-00001206922BD608.jpg

This was going in so I had to take the same route going back out. When I was finally past the downed tree on the way out I could hear something dragging. When I got back to the road so I didn't have to lie down in the mud I found this wrapped around my drive shaft.

6716CE7F-2ACA-4DA7-9C02-1861EB1BA277-26650-0000120695E786A0.jpg

Took me 45 minutes with a pair of cutting pliers to snip it all off. That was the first coat of mud for my new muffler.

It's very easy to install, you will need to jack the rear up to get the tail pipe over the axle but everything else I did without a jack.

The part you will have trouble with is the cat so it might be a good idea to just order a new one. The bolts that hold cat to the pipe both front and back are threaded into the flange on the cat, no nuts behind it so they will probably break. I broke all four on the original cat. The cat on my truck right now is from my 94 parts truck. I broke one bolt in this one and had to drill it out. I went ahead and ran a 3/8 x 16 tap right through the metric thread and then put a nut behind the flange.

James

I liked the SS pipe I had on my old hardbody, no matter how crappy it looked, a little rub down with an SOS pad would bring the shine back, if you care about how it looks that is.

SOS pad works good on stock exhaust pipe to, that is how I cleaned the end of my tail pipe when I first bought my PF