DTC code P0446

dtom4

Anyone have any experience with this? The MIL lighthas been on in my 97 SE since I bought it a few months ago. Buought a code checker and it shows code P0046 which indicates EVAP. I tried googling it for info and says most likely insect blcokage, oring or bad vents. Just wondering if anyone has come across this and what the problem was. Search here didn't turn up anything. TIA

Dave

it's the EVAP canister vent control valve (part # 14935-54u06 about $100) which is located on the charcoal canister which is situated behind the driver-side rear tire. unfortunately, you will have to change out the canister as well (part # 14950-1s717 $144.22).

your trouble code might be due to the charcoal brick breaking up and clogging the valve. you might want to take a look at this HOW TO

hope this helps,

ian

edit:

oh and don't forget the o-ring (part # 16618-40u00 about $1.60) which goes between the valve and the canister.

i just realized that you have a '97, which is the same as mine. unfortunately the EVAP system had some flaws, flaws which were corrected the following year.

Edited by QuismO

So was it the 97 that had the evap system under the hood?

I ran into that code also and dealt with it contantly for a year before finally discovering the fix. Turns out my vent control valve inside the canister was stuck open throwing the p1440 code indicating an EVAP leak. I took the canister out and sprayed wd40 on the rusty valve and manually activated the valve via a hot wire and saw that it was closing and opening properly. Its been almost two years and the light hasn't come on since.

The part numbers listed above apply to pathfinders manufactured until 4/97. Anything after that used the redesigned parts. If you replace just the vent control valve you'll need to match the valve to the current canister. But using the older parts cost quite a bit more.

If you are replacing both the valve and the canister go ahead and use the new redesigned parts. Should have less chance of a problem and they're cheaper. Also the new valve comes with the o-ring already attached.

Valve - 14935-54U04

Canister - 14950-1S718