clunking from front end

dtom4

Recently picked up a 97 SE with only 40K, my first Pathfinder :D. Its in great shape but I've been getting a clunking sound from the front end thats driving me crazy. It sounds like the exhaust is banging against something (its not, I checked) and seems to be coming from the right front though sometimes it sounds and feels like its from right under the gas pedal. It's a loose clunking sound, almost like something is swinging and banging against the chasis and seems to be worst over smaller bumps and unsmooth road surfaces. Also most noticeable at slower speeds. I looked underneath a few times and can't find anything unusual. Everything seems tight and all bushings look ok. I'm thinking maybe its the struts.

Is there anything I should be looking at that may be common on this model? The car is nice and tight except this loose clunking noise any its driving me crazy. If anyone could point me at places to look it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Dave

Check your swaybar end links.

And your swaybar bushings. Mine were broken through on the top side and not very visible without moving things around. I also had my wife rock the path while I stuck my head under to see.

Edited by turbopath

And your swaybar bushings.  Mine were broken through on the top side and not very visible without moving things around.  I also had my wife rock the path while I stuck my head under to see.

I'll take a look again at the sway bar bushings and end links. Is there a good source for poly bushings? Thanks.

Dave

Sway bar end links. That's what it was for me on my '02 @ 33,000 miles. Just get under there and pry up on the sway bar at the link... any movement at the top or bottom and it's toast. Common enough that my dealer here in a very small town in the middle of nowhere stocks them. If you find one bad, just replace them both. I thought I narrowed it down to the right side and after replacing I started hearing the same noise from the left. I got 'em for like $10 to $15 a piece at the dealer. Good Luck.