Strange blower motor problem - UPDATED

Guest JohnHirschi

Guest JohnHirschi

Hi,

I have a strange problem I hope someone can help me with. I'm so tired of dropping the pathy off at the dealer.

I got in the Pathfinder after work on Monday and the air conditioner fan wouldn't blow. I turned it on all settings (Auto, 1, 2, 3), but the air wouldn't blow. I left it in the on position for the whole ride home (1/2 hour) but it never did blow.

The next morning I got in to go to work and it blew just fine. All positions worked. But after work it didn't work again and it hasn't worked since (even in the mornings).

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they told me that I had two broken "amps" One looks like a 4x6 inch box that goes by the driver's feet and another small things that goes near the blower motor. They want $370 for the parts and $160 to install them. I couldn't believe it! I figured it would be $150 at most, including the standard "bend over and take it from the dealer" fee. They say its because I have an "auto" mode on the blower.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I can't drive it here in Utah in the summer without A/C, and I can't sell it without fixing that blower. Are these the types of parts that I could get from a junkyard? I am worried that I have some other problem that blew these parts up and that when I get replacement parts that same root problem will kill the new parts.

I'm begging you guys for help here! What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks,

John

• 4 weeks later...

If you know exactly what the two parts look like, I'd try a wrecker and see if you can get used ones. If so, they'll probably be a lot cheaper than new, and if they blow right off the bat, at least you won't be out $500.

just my .02.

Guest JohnHirschi

They showed me a picture of the two parts. I found one under my dash, but the other must be buried because I couldn't find it by just looking. Is there a way to get a picture of the part using a part number?

Here are the part numbers:

285201W660

2776170T03

Together they are about $370. The dealer said that they will charge me shipping and 10% if I bring them back unopened. If I open them, they won't take them back at all... So I know what one looks like, but not the other. I haven't been to a junkyard for years. What do you think they would charge for an electrical part like that?

John

take some pictures of the affected areas and explain whats goin on and most likely someone will be able to help

$700 from a dealer........ my goodness, you can buy a lot of parts for that sort of money, sounds like they rippn you off something bad

Avoid the dealer unless it's under warrenty. They charged me $.62 for a little dash screw and $1.64 for a little metal clip. Both would probably be $.10 together at a hardware store. I'd would have gone to the hardware store if it wouldn't had cost me $2.00 in gas.

Guest JohnHirschi

Everyone, thanks for your input and help

I got desperate and decided to let the dealership fix the problem. I called them and asked, "You know that $100 you charged me to diagnose the problem? That gets applied to the $530 total right?" They said no, the $530 is in addition to the $100 they charged me. That just made me even more angry. I decided to try another dealer.

I went to Tim Dahle Nissan in Sandy, UT. I went and talked to their service manager (Chris Franks) about it. He went to his computer and found a diagnostic flowchart to diagnose the problem. He brought his phillips screwdriver out to the parking lot and 8 screws later had one of the parts exposed. The amp has a few electronics in it and a huge heat sink. He touched the heat sink to ground and the fan came on. So he went inside to the parts department and asked to "borrow" a new part. He took it outside and plugged it in. It worked; problem solved. It took him about 15 minutes and he only charged me for the part ($106). I offered to buy lunch for his entire crew, but he wouldn't have it.

What a difference... Theres more. When I got home I got the mail and there is a letter from the service manager from the original dealer that wanted to get $630 from me. The letter states that I will soon be receiving a survey in the mail from them about their service department. "This survey is very important to us and if there is any reason why you can not give (dealer name) a 100% grade please contact me so I can resolve any questions or concerns you may have."

I can't wait to call him today....