97 Radio/Console Wiring Harness

revolutionary198

Hey guys,

I'm putting a new radio into my 97 pathy, and step one is taking off the center console trim panel. I got the panel off fine and 4 of the wiring harnesses were easy, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the small, black, L-shaped harness off the back of the cigarette lighter/power point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can sorta set the panel aside, but there's not a whole lot of give in the wire, and its hard to work on the radio and dodge around both the stick shift and the hanging panel. If it helps, a metal, L-shaped piece comes out the back of the metal cigarette lighter cylinder, and this black plastic sleeve sits over it and has two wires running out the back. The sleeve has clips on on both the left and right sides, but undoing those doesnt seem to make removal any easier. Thanks again for any help.

You have to disconnect the wiring harness that goes to your hazard flashers and the one going to the rear defrost (right below the flashers). After you get those disconnected you should just be able to lie the console trim right over your shifter with plenty of room to work on the stereo. You don't have to disconnnect the cigarrette lighter or the rear wiper control. My 97's an auto trasmission... I would assume this would work with a manual as well.