Oxygen Sensor Problems

Guest TigerHokieFan

Guest tram_bethea

Sup fellows? I need to replace my oxygen sensors in my pathy and I would like to do it myself but I have no idea where they are located and how hard it would be? From you guys experience, do you think it is tough to do? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can take stuff apart and put it back together with no problems. Any suggestions and help you guys could give would be great!

Thanks, Tram

Well first off they are not cheap but that being said I have seen good deals on ebay so good luck there. I would start by looking on the exhaust right after the manifold then work down till you find all of them. I think there will be 1 after each manifold then 1 after the cat.

Then you should follow 88_Pathy's instructions. Only issue is, do you know which O2 sensor is pooched? If you don't have a CEL on, chances are they're okay, as the R50's are VERY sensitive, it seems, to any 02 sensor issues. Pezzy has already had to replace all 4 on her 99.5

• 3 weeks later...

I have changed my 1998 Pathfinder R50 2 rear O2 sensors. Since you have 1999, it should be the same as my pathfinder. There are 4 oxygen sensor. There are 2 location before the catalytic converter ( You should be able to see them when you have your hood open. There are 2 after the catalytic converter ( You will need to climb under your car to see them). The O2 sensors might be hiding under your heat shields (Just look for wire coming out of your exhaust pipe). They are fairly simple to change. First you have to find out which O2 sensor is bad with a ODB2 reader. Buy the O2 sensor, I got my around $90 CAN each (Bosch is the OEM brand). Some say you should change your O2 sensor in a pair so that it will have balance reading. Remove the 02 sensor is pretty easy just put put some lub, unscrew them and put a new one in with some anti-sized compound. Re-wire it and you are reading to go. It took me a few hours with some help from for the wiring. I have a thread in the forum you should be able to find it.