Sigh, what got knocked loose this time?

VW_Factor

I called it a Ford..

Don't get me started on my wife's Van (ford). The check engine light is getting to the point of being ridiculous. Everything we can think of has been replaced and the f*ckin thing still pops on saying the engine is running lean. I thinking its just a vacuum hose somewhere as I have found others that are cracked or just plain dry rotted. anyway....Its a Ford. My Pathfinder kicks the Fords ass :)

The injectors are driven by the ECU and make a little clicking noise when they "fire". If they are not (you could also use a DVM), since the ECU isn't posting a code, I'd check:

- grounds

- connectors (should be an 8pin a 2pin and the ECU

Next would suspect the ECU

• 3 weeks later...
The injectors are driven by the ECU and make a little clicking noise when they "fire". If they are not (you could also use a DVM), since the ECU isn't posting a code, I'd check:

- grounds

- connectors (should be an 8pin a 2pin and the ECU

Next would suspect the ECU

Ok. Holidays happened, so.

Otherwise..

After talking with a local Nissan expert guy, he informs me that that position sensor in the dizzy if gone bad would alert the ECU (ecu would post the code for it).

So, as suggested went after the connectors. Checked most connectors under the hood, and to the ECU itself. All seems well.

So, we are going to be replacing the ECU. Anyone have one for sale? :D

Ok. Holidays happened, so.

Otherwise..

After talking with a local Nissan expert guy, he informs me that that position sensor in the dizzy if gone bad would alert the ECU (ecu would post the code for it).

So, as suggested went after the connectors. Checked most connectors under the hood, and to the ECU itself. All seems well.

So, we are going to be replacing the ECU. Anyone have one for sale? :D

if you can't find one i could check the local bone yards, i know there are a ton of pathy's in there, but i don't know for certain if their ecu's work...

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the mystery I had a while ago. The Woodruff key keeping the Harmonic Balancer from spinning on the Crankshaft disintagrated. Fortunatly, it siezed on the shaft after turning only a few degrees, so it didn't wreck my valves and pistons. It was a bugger to chase down though. It probably shouldn't have been, but I just couldn't figure out why the timing was so far off. Mine was really bad to chase down because it would start and run fine until it warmed up, then it would just die. Put a timing light on it, that should tell you if it's the problem I am describing. Or not... Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Well now.. Dont we feel silly.

The truck sat for some time under our tree.

Anyway, it needed a new battery. Upon removal of the battery, and moving the battery cables more than a few inches, revealed an issue. One of the smaller 12v wires from the positive terminal was corroded and broken (under the electrical tape that was wrapped and holding the wires in the bunch). With the old battery in, and just grabbing and moving the wires around by hand, everything seemed well. It was not.

Im surprised the truck acted as it did. Apparently this particular wire gave power to the injectors. The ECU was telling the injectors to fire, but they werent.

Otherwise. Long story short. Fixed this wire, and installed the new battery, wrapped everything back up.. She fired right up.

reminds me of the '79 TransAm I had. it kept dying, and I couldn't figure out why. eventually determined there was a bad short somewhere. ran through the entire wiring schematics, with no luck. turned out the starter cables were too close to each other and worn down a little, they'd arc and kill the motor. :blink:

made for a long week.