EGR

88_Pathy

I have read all of the posts and am still in the air. I pulled a EGR function code and a ignition signal code. Where should I start in fixing this? I am getting terrible gas milage and would like to get this taken care of as soon as I can. Thanks.

You can check the EGR valve pretty easily. First off all, make sure the diaphram is not stuck. From underneath the valve, try to push up on the diaphram. IF it dont move and feels like it is all the way up, then the valve is stuck. If you are getting bad mileage, I bet the valve is either stuck open or the spring is weak and opening at the wrong time. The ignition code may mean your distributor is going bad. You may want to take the cap & rotor off and check for any rust, debris, or oil in the distributor.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Ditto on the EGR. I pulled mine off, cleaned it with intake/carb cleaner, went through its the movements, cleaned again , repeat, etc. I know people will cry foul about possibly ruining the rubber on the diaphram, but if its already shot then its worth a try, right? It's been about a 1 1/2 to 2 years since I did this with no ill effects. No input on the other issue though, sorry.

Ditto on the EGR. I pulled mine off, cleaned it with intake/carb cleaner, went through its the movements, cleaned again , repeat, etc. I know people will cry foul about possibly ruining the rubber on the diaphram, but if its already shot then its worth a try, right? It's been about a 1 1/2 to 2 years since I did this with no ill effects. No input on the other issue though, sorry.

ditto. that's what i cleaned mine with and no problems a year later :aok:

I have the EGR function code too with the accompanying check engine light. I've traced the problem to the EGR temp sensor, but since the light has come on I've been getting better mileage. (12-14mpg to 16-18mpg) :shrug: So I think I'm going to leave it alone until the next time the inspection comes up.