Starting problem

jason

Started up the old '95 after a huge (huge to us) snow storm, got a loud squealing noise, broke the alternator belt 2 blocks later, replaced belt, ran fine. Next day (still freezing outside), started her up, squealing again, burning rubber smell (belt), shut her off and took the old lady's rig to work. Later that day, went to start her and she gave me the typical "click-click-click" of a dead battery. The thing is, the headlights and stereo work at the same time with the key in the accesory position, so I know the battery still has juice.

I've determined that the belt broke because the alternator pulley was not spinning, thus causing friction and heat on the belt. Is the alternator frozen because of the cold weather, or did it just happen to fail on me after the snow storm?

I'd say the alt probably just gave out finally...bearings in the pully, and the cold weather just sped things along with failure as metal is more brittle when frozen.

Pully seized, therefore belt burned off. Battery too weak to turn the starter over due to lack of charging from the alternator not working properly over time.

Plus, in my book, batteries ALWAYS CRAP OUT ON ME IN THE WINTER TIME!!! lol. never during the nice months....always gotta freeze my butt off replacing mine or my wifes battery in the middle of the night....but hey I got a house with a garage now! woohoo! but guess who gets to park their vehicle in it........ :(

..yeah ....once in a while....when I need to work on my pathfinder. :)

They just dont make houses with big enough garages anymore.... my stupid hot water heater takes up the needed space to fit my pathy in there along with wifes van.

My old starter started going bad a few years ago and I would have to smack it with a long screwdriver and hammer a few times until it would turn over. eventually that stopped working too so it was time for a new starter.

..yeah ....once in a while....when I need to work on my pathfinder. :)

They just dont make houses with big enough garages anymore.... my stupid hot water heater takes up the needed space to fit my pathy in there along with wifes van.

My old starter started going bad a few years ago and I would have to smack it with a long screwdriver and hammer a few times until it would turn over. eventually that stopped working too so it was time for a new starter.

Get a propane/natural gas on demand heater ;)

Love those things, my parents had one a several years ago. They are small (maybe 6-8in deep), mount on the wall and they only heat when the water is flowing and as a result you have an endless supply of hot water. With the unit they had you "could" crank that puppy up to provide near boiling water :blink:

Another benefit to them is that when you do not have the hot water faucet open, the only fuel it uses is for the pilot light.. which is almost nothing at all :aok:

That sounds like the ticket for hot water heating. Never heard of them before.

Only been in this house for a year and a half so once other things get paid for, maybe a change in water heating can be put on the "honey-do" list!

Thanks for the info...although it doesn't really help with pathy starting issues LOL.

Merry Christmas! Hope Santa puts cool pathfinder car parts under the tree for us all!!

(I need upper control arms for rear axle, shocks, and some dash board trim pieces and an air vent faceplate thanks to my wife putting the heel of her right foot through the passenger side vent after a night of partying (getting wasted would be more like it....) at a party one night...she was aiming for the top of the dash to put her feet up when she kicked the seat back to lay down, but obviously fell short of the mark. I cant say much though, she bought me my pathfinder in the first place :)

she paid the price later on that night anyway.....puking her guts out.