1 Problem Down 1 To Go

Guest jkopp

Guest jkopp

Now that my uphill problems have been solved. I am still having problems with a LOW idle speed. It is sitting at about 500RPM's on a good day. It makes city driving annoying because I have to tack the engine up higher just to keep it from stalling and especially starting uphill. I need to try pull the codes, but does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can start or common malfunctions that would cause this. I recently replaced the fuel filter and plugs/wires. Any suggestions are most appreciated. I am starting to think this thing is the devil. It’s always something!

Check your timing. It usually doesn't get thrown off much with just a change of wires but in your case it may have. I know mine will idle real low if the timing is set back even 3-4 degrees (and idle high if advanced a bit too much).

Brian

Guest jkopp

I almost sure its not the timing. Its not kicking back when I turn it off and once I get going it seems that regular driving is fine. I will look into it, but I can almost rule timing out.

I almost sure its not the timing. Its not kicking back when I turn it off and once I get going it seems that regular driving is fine. I will look into it, but I can almost rule timing out.

adjust the idle screw

Guest jkopp

Adjusting the screw did not seem to have any effect on the idle speed. Could this indicate that the idle air flow motor is bad???

Guest jkopp

Okay so the ECU is reporting a knock sensor error. So guess that I need to replace the sensor. How hard is this to do and does anyone have any instructions or suggestions?

Justin

knock sensor is in the 'Valley' between the two cylinder banks and is located beneath the intake plenum ... I believe that you have to take the intake off to get at it ... but I have the TBI ... so I wouldn't know for sure ...