Lots of dumb questions for newbie

Guest drbigz

Guest drbigz

2001 LE 4x2 37k miles. Live in Houston, TX - Hot and humid most of the year. I do a lot of stop and go dirving and I have an heavy foot. I don't do any off roading.

I am still working on my 30k service. I didn't want to take it to the dealer because I don't trust them, My uncle will be helping me out because I still don't know much about cars but since he doesn't know Nissans well, I came here to get some question snaswered.

Things done so far - Tires rotated/balanced, replaced fuel filter, microfilter, and air filter.

Things to do - Replace transmission oil, coolant, transfer case oil (?), LSD oil (?), I don't know what else.

Ok, first of all, since I have a 4x2, do I even have a transfer case oil to replace? Do I have LSD? Is LSD only in the rear?

What else am I missing? Do I need to change any of the belts? Some people have talked about draining the brake fluid, changing brakes, machine rotors and drums, and repacking bearings and regreasing them,. Also, I've read about people changing the power steering fluid also. I don't know how much of this needs to be done.

Also, I am wanting more power so I was thnking about getting a good intake, some sort of exaust for extra power without the extra noise, getting the fuel system cleaned, maybe getting a tranny cooler since it gets really hot here in Texas.

I can't find anyhting on the net about a customized intake and exhaust already made for Pathfinder that I can purchase.

Any help and suggestions would be appraciated.

You don't have a transfer case or front differential. "LSD" refers to a Limited Slip Differential. Those are only found inside the rear axle. Look underneath your Pathy at your rear axle. If there's an orange sticker on the back side of the axle, then you have the LSD unit. Use the approipriate fluid for refilling it if you do the service.

Do I need to change any of the belts? Some people have talked about draining the brake fluid, changing brakes, machine rotors and drums, and repacking bearings and regreasing them,. Also, I've read about people changing the power steering fluid also.

Not unless the belts are worn, loose or slipping. Same for the brakes. If the brakes NEED replacing, have the brake system flushed at the same time. Other than that, they shouldn't need anything done to them. Same for the bearings. They should be fine unless they're making funny noises or your wheel appears to be loose when jacked off the ground. The power steering fluid should be fine, too. A transmission cooler would be a great addition to your Pathfinder if you live in a hot climate, yes. Hayden makes a fine line of cooler kits that are complete and relatively easy to install.

I can't find anyhting on the net about a customized intake and exhaust already made for Pathfinder that I can purchase.

Perhaps you're not looking in the right places. I found a bunch of stuff in a few seconds using Google.com.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...formance+intake

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...ormance+exhaust

Guest drbigz

Thanks for the response 88. I few more questions.

First, the links that you gave for google search are pretty generic. I was hoping to get a customized intake that is already shapped for exact fit on the Pathfinder. There's one avaiable by FrankenCar performance. I don't know much about exhausts either. I would just like some better performance and a nice chrome tip.

Also, wouldn't a 2001 car already be equipped with some kind of a transmission cooler? So would I be replacing that with a better one or just add on to it?

Is the wheel bearings the need to be repacked and greased up only in the front? What did you mean by the tire seeming loose when the car is jacked up?

Is there anyhting I can add for preventive measures like BG44k to keep fuel system clean and BG MOA in the engine oil or some sort of a transmission additive to keep it running good?

I paid too much for this car and it's worth only half because of bad resale value and one bad wreck so I want to keep it running for at least another 5 years or so. I'm averaging about 18k miles a year right now.

Thanks for the response 88. I few more questions.

First, the links that you gave for google search are pretty generic. I was hoping to get a customized intake that is already shapped for exact fit on the Pathfinder. There's one avaiable by FrankenCar performance.

Also, wouldn't a 2001 car already be equipped with some kind of a transmission cooler? So would I be replacing that with a better one or just add on to it?

Is the wheel bearings the need to be repacked and greased up only in the front? What did you mean by the tire seeming loose when the car is jacked up?

Is there anyhting I can add for preventive measures like BG44k to keep fuel system clean and BG MOA in the engine oil or some sort of a transmission additive to keep it running good?

I paid too much for this car and it's worth only half because of bad resale value and one bad wreck so I want to keep it running for at least another 5 years or so. I'm averaging about 18k miles a year right now.

The generic links are because there aren't enough companies producing custom intakes for Pathfinders. Take what comes, know what I mean? ;) I can't do ANYTHING to mine (intake-wise) except drop in a stock replacement K&N filter.

Your Pathy has a tranny cooler, yes. It's inside the stock radiator and it doesn't do a very good job. Adding an external one will help immensely. If you do decide to add one on, put the new cooler on the output side of the stock cooler, then loop it back out to the return line for the tranny. That way it'll run thru the radiator first and warm the fluid up a bit on colder days.

The front bearings are the only ones that will ever need to be repacked. By looseness, I mean if you can rock the wheel up and down or left to right any more than a tiny bit, you might be having problems.

I have no idea what BG44k or BG MOA is, so that one's up to you. :) The Pathy should last you well over 120,000 miles (in most cases, at least 200K) with proper care and oil changes. I wouldn't worry too much about it.