Exhaust...

Pathfinder-jay

hey guys been awhile since ive posted...

Im having a problem with my exhaust... first i replace the pipe right before my catalytic converter, then the next pipe went then the downpipe went.... all within a month due to the pressure hitting the older peices and braking the very rusted flanges. Anyhow now it seems like my manifold has cracked. Im looking for the best way to fix or change my exhaust...

I was thinking of getting some headers.... and doing a magnaflow exhaust... Pure stainless steal... but im not sure how much something like that would go for.

I called a local guy and he told me to send him a diagram of my exhaust... anyone got one by anychance? as for pricing he said hes not sure since he has only done 1998 and up exhaust on pathfinders (not alot of 95 and under in my area). Im looking to gain some gas milage at the same time if possibe. If some of you could give me some advice id be more the greateful.

thanks

Jay

hey jay, haven't heard from you in a while. My exhaust was pretty beat-up too. I had a few missing studs and the y-pipe(downpipe) was rotten along with most of the flanges. I decided to buy thorley headers from rocky-road outfitters for $350 to replace the manifolds and y-pipe, a hi-flow catalytic converter (my old one was clogged and rusted) and a flowmaster 50 muffler. All the piping is 2.5". I never had any of the tools to do the job myself so I had to get a mechanic to do most of it for me. I ended up spending about $1400 on the entire system to have it all replaced. Stainless steel mufflers and pipes will cost you a little more than aluminized metal, and the thorley headers either come in nickle-plated (what I got) or ceramic-coated (more expensive). I think Borla makes a full stainless cat-back exhaust system too but it was pretty expensive as opposed to just buying universal-fit mufflers and catalytic converter and using regular 2.5" steel pipe to connect everything together. Just make sure that all the old rotten flanges are replaced because that's usually the spot where they leak. And you might also want to replace all the old manifold studs with the new nissan brand ones from the dealership. Unfortunately, i think that's the only place to get them and they will cost you around $100 for the set but it's better than having old ones break off and replacing them over again. ;)

hehe ya ive been really busy with my online company and school and trying to keep the pathy not in the junkyard lol. Well as far as i know my guy is pretty cheap... for work just need to get everything installed. Im over in canada so im going to try to find those headers here if i can...doubt it... but im scared to see what i get charged at customs and to ship em hehe.

Ya i was thinking the magnaflow aswell... the guy thats doing it for me does good work... check him out here

Marky the welder haha

Anyhow he quoted me approx 700$ to do my exhaust... peices included... plus header installation.

Also if anyone has diagram of exhaust let me know

Jay

hey that mark guy looks like he knows his way around the welder.

I had my headers shipped to my friend's house in Ellicotville, NY and i drove across the border and picked them up so i never had to pay duty charges for it. The total for them including shipping to NY was $353 usd. $28.55 was the shipping charges from californina (they were drop-shipped). Maybe rocky road will use USPS for shipping and you won't have to pay outlandish duty charges like UPS's. Just call them and ask first.

Installing the headers might bump the price up quite a bit because the mechanic may have to use a drill to get broken-off studs out and that takes some time and skill. You might as well replace the cracked manifolds because i remember manifolds being almost the same cost as the headers. You will enjoy the extra power the new exhaust gives you. either way, make sure you have some extra money just in case you run into problems. ;)

some people on the board have them, but there have been talks of quality issues with them. Mind you, there have also been talks of quality issues with the thorley headers too, but mine fit perfectly. :shrug:

Do a search for the pacesetter headers and you'll find some info about them. go to the 4x4parts.com message board and there are other threads on there about the pacesetters too.