Rear brakes squeaking

Guest Biohazard

Guest Biohazard

Greetings from a newbie.

My wife drives a 2000 Pathfinder SE 4WD V6, and we've had issues with the brakes for the last 3 years. I'm not sure if this is Pathfinders in general, but it has OH-MY-GOD touchy brakes. We've warped the front rotors twice, so I replaced those with cross-drilled rotors and metalmaster brakes pads - no problems from there since. However, my issue now is with the rear brakes sqeaking. I've taken the drums off and adjusted and cleaned only to have the problem return in a couple of weeks. Is this a common problem with this model year or Pathfinders in general? Anyone have any ideas on how I can eliminate this problem other than resurface the drums and keep my fingers crossed?

Isn't squeaking usually caused from cheap brakes? Not sure, I think that's what I've heard though. If the rotors warp that badly maybe you need to look at your driving habits. Do you ride the brakes or anything of that sort? Or are you one of the people who does 40 until 2 feet before the stopping point and then slams them on? That can have a lot to do with overheating and warping brakes. Personally, I've never had problems with warped rotors on mine. Anyway, that's just my input. Someone else may have better ideas...wait, I KNOW someone else probably has better ideas.

Guest Biohazard

The rotor issue isn't a driving habit problem. I can put the car in drive, let off the brake and when I go to apply the brakes again to stop (as softly as I possibly can, it about makes me hit my head on the steering wheel (and I'm only going like 5 mph). The brakes are extremely touchy. I've driven a 4WD Tacoma for 5 years and I haven't had the first problem with brakes, so its not me.

If the rear brakes are cheap, then the manufacturer put cheap brakes on the car when they made it. If that's the issue, I have no problem replacing them. I just didn't know if this was a common problem or not.

Oh, my 88 did that while it was alive. When I'd put the brakes on the first time they'd really grab...driving out of the driveway was fun with the whole whiplash aspect. Of course I bought that car used and it came that way. I know what you're talking about. But, I don't know what causes that. My rotors weren't warped but I had new brakes put on and they were fine. It seemed to do it worse after a rain or during very humid days. I figured it had something to do with moisture. As far as the squeaking rears, I'm assuming you've checked to make sure they aren't worn out, that makes more of a nails on chalkboard sound from my experience. Other than that I guess a lot of cars have squeaking noises from brakes at times. Just a little squeak here or there isn't a big deal if it's when you apply them, in my opinion. But if it's really loud and annoying I'd just maybe have the drums turned down and put new pads on. It's relatively easy and cheap if you do it yourself. It's tough to say without hearing the squeaking. Someone else may have an idea though.

Oh, my bad, it's not necessarily cheap pads, but what they're made out of. Organic/metallic and so forth. So if it bothers you put different pads on the rear and see if that helps...also inspect the brake components and make sure they aren't somehow not working properly. And warped rotors ARE usually caused from high temperatures...aka either a stuck brake or someone with bad driving habits, as far as I know. And since your wife is driving the car maybe you need to hide in the back to see if the rides the brakes when you're not with... :P And if she doesn't then you need to figure out why they are overheating...but it sounds like you put new rotors on anyway, so that problem should be good for a while. But for the rears I would just change pads and turn the drums down or get new ones if the squeaking bothers you. And I would ASSUME that would take care of it.

glazed rotors will lock up like that ... isn't so sweet when you are just barely moving and you use the brakes and your head practically goes through the windshield? LOL ... I laughed so hard when this was brought up cause I just remember getting so pissed when that happened ...