Transmission Problems?

abomb1

Lately I've noticed something kind of strange when accelerating under 2k rpms. I have a manual transmission, and mostly notice this in 2nd and 3rd gears. If the rpms are too low, its like the transmission is only intermittantly catching, which causes a series of jerks rather than a smooth acceleration. But by the time I get past 2k rpms, there is no problem at all. Also, I can start from a dead stop in 2nd gear without having the problem as long as I have the rpms up when I let the clutch out. I know I used to be able to get going in 2nd without doing this before.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Its kind of hard to describe in writing exactly what happens, so sorry if the description doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm hoping it isn't a transmission issue but instead something more simple (and less $$$) like maybe I should replace the plugs and wires or something.

At first I thought I was just making this up because all of the other big fixes I have had to do to this Pathfinder were making me paranoid. But I know something isn't right now, so I have to do something soon. :help:

Sounds to me like the engine is miss-fireing at low revs under load and causing the vehicle to jerk. Does that sound more possible??

It is almost impossible that the trans could slip in such a mannor. It either drives or it doesn't. Won't be the clutch as that would not cause a jerk.

Check electrical components of engine, especially the condition of the plugs and size of the spark. Also fuel system and filter.

Process of elimination remember!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Just throwing my had in, but could it just be the engine bogging down at such low RPM's while trying to accelerate? Its not like our Pathy's exactly have a ton of torque and power. I generally don't even bother with mine under 2K RPM's cause it just throws a fit.

Just throwing my had in, but could it just be the engine bogging down at such low RPM's while trying to accelerate?  Its not like our Pathy's exactly have a ton of torque and power.  I generally don't even bother with mine under 2K RPM's cause it just throws a fit.

It could be, but it doesn't seem like it did it this bad before. That's why I say that at first I thought I was just paranoid and making a big deal out of nothing, but it seems worse than I remember it.

I think I will try to replace the plugs and wires. With 137k miles, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do that anyway. For those that have done this already, is it hard to get to all of the spark plugs? I've looked quickly at the engine to see where they all are and it looks like a couple of them won't be much fun to try to reach.

Over on the 4x4parts board they are suggesting clutch problems, so I guess if plugs and wires don't do the trick, that will be the next thing to replace.

Its really not hard to do the plugs and wires, just do them one at a time. Your gonna need a long extention to get the ones that are hidded under the intake plenium. I havent had a problem with the rear plug, but there is a ton of posts on here about poeple spending up to an hours trying to change it. My advice would be to use a smaller extension with a universal so you can get a good angle with it since it kinda puts you against the firewall. Oh yeh and while doing that one dont knock the small vaccumm hose off back there.

Were you able to get a shop vac down in there before changing them to keep any loose dirt or sand down there from falling in when the plug comes out? Which plugs and wires did you go with? I'll go do my search now and see what others have done.

I've been using a water hose and blasting all the crud off the top off the plugs before removing them. The water drains off in a bit, so none gets into the cylinders.

By the way, say hi to the AC guys for me. I notice that a lot of n00b questions in the Pathfinder forum aren't getting answered or are getting the wrong answers. Dumbasses...