Replacing rear control arm bushings

Guest 88PFMN

Guest 88PFMN

Hello everyone. My 2nd post; 1st was story of my life in the Newbie section. Thanks to any who stayed awake. Courtesy of the streets of Chicago, the rear end of my new-to-me '88 2DR SE V6 5Spd tries to join the front end of the truck every time I hit the gas. Looking underneath, I obviously need all new bushings everywhere. Question is: how hard is it to remove and replace the bushings in the control arms? In dealing w/similar probs on other cars, experience saved mucho time and agony. If anyone has done this and has a tip or two, I'll owe ya. Thanks in advance!

From what I gather, those things are a PITA. Takes a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in. Might be a good idea to buy new bushings, take the control arms off and take the whole mess to a shop and have the shop press them in and out for you.

Guest 88PFMN

Thanks for the headsup, chief. I've seen the PITA factor on this type of thing before. Guess I'll check in w/the buddy that just got a press...

Guest 88PFMN

Achhh! Still waiting for my guy to get the manifold done...been in since Tuesday. 2 busted bolts - I better see what the weekly shop rate is. And I shoulda done headers and exhaust.