locked up

92pathy

Hey guys this winter i'm planning on doing alot of mods to my wd21 i was reading a magazine and they were talking about spools for rear ends, they're alot cheaper than the others and they are what i was looking for does anybody here have any expirience( spelling?) with them? if so can you all help me out?

thanks

Edited by 92pathy

Spools lock both rear axles together all the time. They turn at the same speed. On the street it gets very difficult to turn and manuver, like in a grocery store parking lot. Of road, they work well, but some break a lot of stuff with them. I think everyone on this forum would tell you to get a air locker, or a mechanical locker(Lockrite). Or even a rear lsd, that is unless you already have on. There have been many discussions about lockers on here.

im not sure if ive got lsd did some come stock with them? if so how do i tell?
Look for a little orange sticker on the rear differential that says "LSD only" or raise BOTH rear wheels on jackstands and spin one by hand. If the other wheel spins the same direction its an LSD diff, if it spins the opposite direction, its an open diff. Good thing about open diffs is that you can install a mechanical locker in them for under $250 and presto, you've got the equivalent of a spooled rear that will actually unlock when you need it to.