drum to disk swap

clark

Hello everyone, can a drum brake rearend be swaped to disk? and how hard is it to do? I ask because my finder has a lsd drum rearend and ive got a parts truck that has a open diff disk brake rear end but has a broken axel tube making swaping the whole rear end not an option.Thanks

I did a 180 when i hit some black ice at 100kph and slid backwards into one of them cement road block things it tore the tube right off the on the left side and the frame was so rusted out that it tore the rear half of the frame from the sway bar mounts back. off it sucked

is the hub (the bit that bolts to the axle tube) & axle shaft from the disc brake unit ok?

if so then you can do it.

being semi floating axle you cant easily just pull the disc brake unit/flange off and still use the other axle shafts.

it broke right at the pumpkin on the left side, the brakes are still good but the shaft the wheel bolts to is broken at the spline, I am wondering if its as easy as pulling the shaft out and removeing the drum backing plate and installing the disk brackets and lines and puting the same shaft back in?

as for pulling the drum/disc hub apart - yes it is possible BUT unless you have a large press which you can put the whole axle shaft and hub in you will NOT be able to get them apart. pathy rear axles are semi floating & do not come apart easily.

yes they do come apart otherwise how would you change the rear bearings. you just need a press. from memory the bloke who pressed my rear axle shafts and hubs apart, when i did my rear bearings, stated that 2-3 tonnes in the press was about the limit otherwise you risk bending the axle shaft. if it wont come apart with 2 or 3 tonnes you will need to heat or cut.

when i did my drum to disc swap i had to buy some 1.5mm (i think) shims to space the whole hub out as the ends of the shafts were binding on the diff centre. upon reverse and turning i would get a sort of 'binding' feel, the car was uneasy to move and a sort of unusual noise. put some more shims in and all fixed no probs.

However at the time the vehicle was fitted with an arb airlocker and it still had the centre pin in place. this may not be an issuse with the stock diff

take this advice from some whos been there done that.

:beer:

Edited by sw

• 2 weeks later...

The disc brake rear hub will come apart without an axle puller. Just need to unbolt the backing plate and bearing retainer then the axle will pull out with the bearing.

I just did this today on a Terrano 1994 disc rear. Can take some photos of rear axle disc assembly if needed.

The drum assembly I do not know about and as SW says it might need an axle puller.

Edited by geordie4x4