Strange tranny problem

Autobahn88

Hi everyone. I used the search but could not find a solution to my tranny problem. I just bought this 93 pathy a month ago. The tranny was rebuilt around 20 000 miles ago. The last couple of weeks I noticed that every now and then when I am going around 50 to 60 mph and I let off the accelerator the tranny will shift up in a jerky motion. It will rev around 18 to 1900 then let off the accelerator a bit to slow down and the rpms jump to 2500. Like I said, it does not do this all the time. Some days it will shift smooth others I get the rpm spikes. Could this be the shift solenoid or something else? I am baffled. By the way, where would the shift solenoid be located? This almost seems like my overdrive is not functioning properly. The overdrive light on my dash does not work but I still do have overdrive.

Thanks Mark :confused:

First thing to do is install an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the stock cooler in the rad. Then drain and re-fill your tranny fluid, and see if that helps it. If not, and you need a rebuild, the aftermarket cooler is still desired, as it'll prolong the life of the tranny, as these things kill trannies due to the stock cooler clogging, causing them to overheat.

Oh, and you'd get a lot more help if you didn't have that ugly avatar :P

Like I said, My tranny was rebuilt not long ago. My tranny does not run hot. Everything is cool at the center console on the floor while driving. Could the TPS affect the shifting of the tranny. Sorry for my ignorance, but I am new to Nissan since this is my first. What is wrong with my avatar? :rolleyes:

Still, get an aftermarket cooler. For the money vs a tranny rebuild, it's WELL worth it. Yes, the TPS could affect shifting. As could the torque converter locking/unlocking when it shouldn't.

Your avatar is a disgrace. Make it go away.... :P

(in case you couldn't pick up on it, I'm a Leafs fan) :)

Hi everyone. I used the search but could not find a solution to my tranny problem. I just bought this 93 pathy a month ago. The tranny was rebuilt around 20 000 miles ago. The last couple of weeks I noticed that every now and then when I am going around 50 to 60 mph and I let off the accelerator the tranny will shift up in a jerky motion. It will rev around 18 to 1900 then let off the accelerator a bit to slow down and the rpms jump to 2500. Like I said, it does not do this all the time. Some days it will shift smooth others I get the rpm spikes. Could this be the shift solenoid or something else? I am baffled. By the way, where would the shift solenoid be located? This almost seems like my overdrive is not functioning properly. The overdrive light on my dash does not work but I still do have overdrive.

Thanks Mark :confused:

I know exactly what you are going thru, cause guess what....I have the same problem. Try running the codes on the tranny and find out what the problem is. My a/t module won't read out codes, only the e-power light blinks a few times and that's it, that's why I decided to just buy another module and hope that this is the problem. I just bought the a/t module today for $20.00, going to test it out tomorrow.

in the mean time, take time to read this post and check this out also on how to run the codes.

http://Nissan.damagedreality.com/NissanTransTests.pdf

try reading this post, maybe it'll help. it seems that there is quite a few members that are having this same problem.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9741