Suspension lift bugs

arctic_mark

OK, so I’ve had a lot of bugs to iron out since I put in my 3” suspension lift (Calmini): nasty squeaks, alignment screw-ups etc. But after replacing the entire steering linkage and the tension/compression rods all was well I managed to sort it all out. Then went and got her properly aligned by Nissan.

Then the latest bug has come to light!

When braking hard and turning right, like off a main road into a parking lot, the front left tire rubs on the wheel arch trim. Compression of the front suspension during braking and transfer of weight onto left tire when turning. It never used to happen before the lift went in and the final alignment was done. In fact it didn’t happen after all the mods and steering overhaul was completed, only after the final alignment. I’m still running the stock 31s on there which never used to rub. Maybe it’s my imagination but it seems to be getting worse.

Is this simply because that with the new lift I’ve got more travel in the shocks so the tire can ride up and rub, or do I have a problem!?

If this isn’t unexpected then I guess all I can do is trim and add the body lift I want.

It doesn’t appear to happen on the right hand side when turning left, but then I guess when turning left you’re turning across traffic so are normally going slower.

Anyway, gonna check that the ride height is level all the way round and tweak the torsion bars as needed tonight, but just from a quick visual inspection left and right / front and back seem pretty close and level.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Just a guess, but it could be that since you replaced your stock A-arms with longer ones the wheel travels in a slightly extended arch when under compression than it did before the lift. What used to tuck into the wheel well is now pushed slightly outward from the longer arm and now rubs the wheel flare. I never noticed that happening after I installed my Superlift A-arms, but Calmini is a different animal.

Yeah, that may be the case. But the suspension does seem stiffer on the front left than on the right. Will have to maybe test it on an improvised RTI ramp! Perhaps my perception that it's getting worse and that the left is looser is a case of Vehicular Hypochondria, but there's no denying that it is rubbing on the corner of the fender panel and plastic trim where that metal valance below the bumper wraps round.

post-9-1158788086.jpg

After I put on my new Wheels(seeSig) I ended up taking off the front Valance and the mudflaps on the front.... 33" and no more rubby up front.... They did not rub with the stock chrome wheels????

With 31's and rubbing, what wheels are you running???

Yeah, that may be the case. But the suspension does seem stiffer on the front left than on the right. Will have to maybe test it on an improvised RTI ramp! Perhaps my perception that it's getting worse and that the left is looser is a case of Vehicular Hypochondria, but there's no denying that it is rubbing on the corner of the fender panel and plastic trim where that metal valance below the bumper wraps round.

Just grab some shears and trim that valence and the plastic back a bit. Only takes a few min, and you can make it look pretty much factory if you take your time. Had to do that at stock height with 31's (and sagging suspension), but I think I would have had to even after suspension. Only takes a sec.

Yeah, looks like a little trimming may be in order. But the left hand side was running lower than the right, so a tweak on the T-bar seems to have levelled it up and given enough room to stop the rubbing. Didn't help that one of the rear swaybar discos had come adrift from the swaybar!!

That's what happens I guess when you go away for 3 weeks and let your "friends" baby-sit your truck!!

Edited by arctic_mark

That's what happens I guess when you go away for 3 weeks and let your "friends" baby-sit your truck!!

Still runs? no new Dents or Dings? Id kill them just for general purposes.... I have the Distributor wire from both my Pathy's in my brief case, here in Seattle... No one drives them when im not around....