Exhaust/Intake

Mr. Pickles

I've heard from mechanics and such, that to get any benefit out of an opened up exhaust, you HAVE to do the intake (K&N-type filter, etc.) as well. They said something to the effect of with exhaust work alone, it throws off the airflow in the cylinders and through the valves, and it may even lose some power. I just heard it again over the weekend. I just heard this again over the weekend on Popular Hot Rodding on Spike. Has anyone heard this/can they back it up?

Just a thought, I have both done on my Pathy and it seemed to add quite a bit of punch over stock.

it sounds reasonable ... but I think that the understandable way it should be put is, "you wont get the full benefit of an exhaust mod or intake mod without doing them both. If you draw more air, you need more room to push it out and vice versa"

that explination may be over simplified, but without getting into the physics of it all, it is a hellava lot easier to say it that way.

Basically, yup. It was something to the effect that with an opened exaust but no intake, the air/fuel in the cylinder would rush out without enough to replace it. Oh well, I'm no physicist nor hot rodder. Just show me the way the cheap and easy horsepower!